Find the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the distance of an image from the right edge of a solid glass sphere when a narrow parallel incident beam of light falls on the sphere at normal incidence. The solution involves treating the sphere as a thin lens and using equations such as the lensmakers' equation. However, this approach is not entirely accurate as the sphere is a thick lens and the equations assume equidistant intercept points on both optical surfaces. The problem also mentions using different refractive indices for glass and diamond, which results in different orientations of the image.
stunner5000pt
A narrow parallel incident beam of light falls from the left on a solid glass sphere at normal incidence. The radius of the sphere is R and its index of refraction is n = 1.52. Find the distance of the image from the right edge of teh sphere

Hint was to treat the sphere like a thin lens

Since this beam is parallel rays the object disatnce approaches infinity, and thus 1/o approaches zero.
also [tex] \frac{1}{f} = (n-1) \frac{2}{R} [/tex]
and [tex] \frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{o} [/tex]

and since 1/o appraoches zero then focus distance = image distance = R/2(0.52). So tis means that the image will occur at the focus of the right edge but it will be a virtual image occurring isnide the sphere?? So what can be said about the orientation of thius image?

please help with this! Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do consider another reflection at the other surface of the sphere & use the formula f=nR/n-1 (i.e., n/ i -1/o =(n-1)/R.). ( The 'hint' is incomprehensible to me).
Regards,
Einstone.

what do you mena consider anotber reflection??

I imagine he meant refraction. And the hint makes no sense at all. A sphere is the worst case scenario of failure of the thin lense approximation, iirc. Pretty sure you have to solve with ray tracing. (Which is essentially what einstone suggests.) I know for a fact that spheres form a real image. And the image is _really_ bad, the aberations are abismal.

What you need is the lensmakers' equation, I think.

the lens makers equation is

[tex] (n-1) (\frac{1}{r_{1}} - \frac{1}{r_{2}}) = \frac{1}{o} + \frac{1}{i} [/tex]

but what is the object distance?/ Since the beams are parallel to each other is o infinity??

i got the answer

for those who were baffled here is the solution

firs find the image formed by the left side of the the sphere. the disatnce o here is infinity so 1/o approaches zero

the posotion of the object from the right (the image formed by the left) is p = 2r - i1. Then solve the image distance from the right hand side. And the answer comes out to be 0.5r (2-n) / (n-1)
its a pity i couldn't do this on my own, i had to resort to a hint suggested by my textbook's website

i do still have one more question though...

what can be said about the orientation of the image if glass n = 1.52 is used nad diamond n = 2.42 is used?/

with glass i get i =6/13 R and with diamond i get i = -21/142 R <0

what can be said about he orientation, Upright for diamond and inverted for glass??

First let me say that your work is probably what your textbook is looking for. However, in reality those equations are _not_ valid in the stated case of a thick lens (sphere). What will happen is that at a sufficiently high refractive index a real image forms within the body of the lens and at a sufficiently higher index that will become the object for another (yes, right side up) image farther along the optical path.

The problem with all the stated equations is that the intercept points of a single ray on both optical surfaces are assumed to be equidistant from the optical axis. This is approximately true for a "thin" lense but dead wrong for a sphere.

Your textbook uses a lousey example for an introductory optics discourse.

Last edited:

1. What do you mean by "distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere"?

When we refer to the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere, we are talking about the distance between the right edge of the sphere and the point where the image is formed on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere calculated?

The distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere can be calculated using the formula: d = R - x, where d is the distance, R is the radius of the sphere, and x is the distance of the object from the center of the sphere.

3. Does the distance of the object from the center of the sphere affect the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere?

Yes, the distance of the object from the center of the sphere does affect the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere. The closer the object is to the center, the further the image will be from the right edge.

4. Can the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere be negative?

No, the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere cannot be negative. If the calculated distance is negative, it means that the image is located inside the sphere, which is not possible.

5. How does the position of the object relative to the sphere affect the distance of the image from the right edge of the sphere?

The position of the object relative to the sphere can affect the distance of the image from the right edge in two ways. If the object is located on the opposite side of the sphere from the observer, the distance of the image from the right edge will be larger. If the object is located on the same side as the observer, the distance of the image from the right edge will be smaller.