Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please restore my post

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1
    please restore my post, I don't think I broke any forum rules, what ever happened to free speech

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Free speech is the concept that the government will not imprison or fine you for anything you say. You have not been imprisoned or fined for your posts, so the concept of free speech has not been violated.

On the other hand, if you go to somebody his house and start insulting him (for example), then that person has every right to put you out of his house. He can ask you to leave any time. This does not violate your free speech since the government does not take any repressive action.

Another example, if you insult your girlfriend, then she has every right to break up with you. This again does not violate your right on free speech. So as you see, the right on free speech protects you from the government, but not from the consequences of whatever you say. The consequences can be getting your posts deleted or getting various people to hate you.

As for your specific post on this forum that has been deleted. We wish not to have a discussion on "hot female scientists". It goes against the spirit of this forum.

4. Jul 11, 2014 #3
    well, I supposed I pissed off a few people but I had no intention whatsoever to piss off anyone, I just wanted to have some fun. saying "hot female sicentists" goes against the ehem "spirit" of this forum makes me wonder if this forum is really run bye scientists.

5. Jul 11, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is the connection between "not wishing to discuss hot female scientists" and "the forum is not run by scientists"? Do you claim that every scientist likes to discuss "hot female scientists"?

6. Jul 11, 2014 #5
    I think I'm not updated about your post. What was your free speech about?

7. Jul 11, 2014 #6
    no

I forget now

8. Jul 11, 2014 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so then how exactly did you come to the conclusion that this forum is not run by scientists?

9. Jul 11, 2014 #8

adjacent

Gold Member

Topic title " ;)"

And the OP was this, as I remember:

"Let's play a game on hot female scientists mmmmm :smile:"
    I don't remember well, but it was like that. :yuck:

10. Jul 11, 2014 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

This forum isn't intended to be perverted, I'm afraid. Not even in the Fun and Games section.

As for "free speech", if you actually knew anything about the Constitution, you'd know that "free speech" refers to a prohibition of government restriction of speech, and it's unfortunate, but we're not the government.

Yet.

11. Jul 11, 2014 #10
    Being disrespectful to fellow scientists doesn't make one a scientist.

12. Jul 11, 2014 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Are you sure you weren't looking for 4chan or tumblr and accidentally ended up at physics forums?

13. Jul 11, 2014 #12
    To the OP: like someone has already stated, the concept of free speech is at a public environment. While I don't agree with everything at physicsforums.com, the servers and website is a private domain. This website doesn't charge you for anything and provides a domain for learning and civil discussions within the context of a certain set of rules.

14. Jul 11, 2014 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

15. Jul 11, 2014 #14
    I think you've gotten a proper explanation. Closing this thread now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook