Did This Student Calculate the Physics Homework Correctly?

• Thread starter Helpplease
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force of sliding friction, net force, and acceleration of a fallen tree being pulled by a tractor with a force of 1200N. It also discusses the frictional force and acceleration of two children on a sled being pulled by a rope at different tensions. Equations for calculating these values are also provided.
Helpplease

Homework Statement

A tractor exters a force of 1200N to pull a fallen tree to pull a fallen tree along the ground. If the tree has a mass of 320KG and the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.35, find
a. the force of sliding friction
b. the netforce on the tree
c. the acceleration of the tree

Note:In case of sliding friction, if the force applied to a body is greater than the force needed to overcome friciton, there is acceleration.

Two children are pulled on a sled over snow-covered ground. The sled which is initially at rest, is pulled by a rope that makes an angle of 40 degrees with the horizontal. The children have combined mass of 45 kg and the sled has a mass of 5kg. The coefficient of kinetic and static friction are U(k)=0.15 and U(s)= 0.2 . Find the frictional force exerted by the grounf on the sled and the acceleration of the children and sled, starting from rest, if the tension in the rope is a)100N b)140N

Homework Equations

Forces in the x direction is Fx: 1200 - friction = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the force of sliding friction would be

Acceleration of tree is .32m/s

force of sliding friction is the coefficient * Normal force

You can find normal force because Fy: N - Weight of tree = 0 That is the forces in the y direction.
N = weight of the tree and weight of the tree is mass times gravity.

N* .35 = 1097.6

Forces in the x direction is Fx: 1200 - friction = ma
1200-1097.6 = 320a
a = (1200-1097.6)/320
a = .32

I hope that's right >_>

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

I cannot verify the accuracy of your calculations without seeing your work and the specific equations you used. However, your approach seems logical and you have used the correct equations for calculating the forces and acceleration in both scenarios. It is important to always show your work and clearly state the equations you are using to solve a problem in order to ensure accuracy and allow for others to understand your thought process. Overall, your response appears to be a reasonable solution to the given problems.

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to check if a solution is correct?

The purpose is to ensure that the solution is accurate and error-free. It is always good to have a second pair of eyes to catch any mistakes or offer suggestions for improvement.

2. How can I tell if my solution is correct?

One way to determine if your solution is correct is to check it against the given problem or guidelines. You can also ask for feedback from someone who has expertise in the subject or use online resources for verification.

3. What should I do if my solution is incorrect?

If your solution is incorrect, you can try to identify where you went wrong and make corrections. You can also seek help from others, such as a teacher or tutor, to understand where you made a mistake and how to improve.

4. Why is it important to double-check my solution?

Double-checking your solution is crucial because it helps to ensure accuracy and completeness. It also allows you to catch any mistakes or misunderstandings, which can lead to a better understanding of the problem and its solution.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice regularly, seek feedback from experts, and analyze your mistakes. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use different approaches to find solutions.