1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please settle this argument.

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    My wife and I have been debateing this (some would call it an argument) but here goes.
    We live in mich and gets real cold here. We have a regular refridgerator that we keep in the garage which is unheated and uninsulated. The debate is if the thermostate in the refridg is set at about 35 degrees, during the winter months, below 30 even down to zero degrees, will the fridg run an stay above the thermostate setting, or will it eventally get down to the outside temp (even though the fridg is insulated) and freeze everything in the fridge.
    Thanks Terry

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2
    Why not stop arguing and put a thermometer in the fridge?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    The fridge will always approach the garage's temperature, but slowly. If the garage stays less than 30 for an extended period the temperature inside the fridge will slowly approach the less than 30 temperature.

How fast your fridge approaches the garage temperature depends on the insulation of the fridge and the temperature difference between the fridge and the garage.

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    The fridge will stop working in cold temperatures without a Garage Refrigerator Heater Kit - which by the way, you can investigate at

http://www.frigidaire-store.com/gakithecokit.html

Because the freezer will no longer work, it will eventually, but slowly, reach equilibrium with the garage temperature.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It's a trap! Science be darned, the correct answer is whichever one your wife says!

.....though there is no heater in a fridge...

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Here's a question: is it possible in principle that, if cold enough outside, the fridge could actually work in reverse? The liquifying/evaporating heat exchange process working the other way?

8. Jan 26, 2012 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No. The refrigerant is flowing in the wrong direction.

9. Jan 26, 2012 #8
    My wife says she occasionally hears the fridge running when its 25 deg in the garage. I tell her its not possable because its colder in side the fridge than the thermostate is set so it can't be running. She says the insulation is keeping the cold out. She really isn't a blond. Talking to here is like talking to a "I" beam. I do love her though and she is all mine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook