1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please, still need help with rotating rigid body problem

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    :cry: I am still stuck with this problem. Please, help if you can.
    A large, cylindrical roll of tissue paper of initial radius R lies on a long, horizontal surface with the outside end of the paper nailed to the surface. The roll is given a slight shove (V initial = 0) and commences to unroll. Assume the roll has a uniform density and that mechanical energy is conserved in the process. Determine the speed of the center of mass of the roll when its radius has diminished to r = 1.0 mm, assuming R = 6.0 meters.

This is what I got so far.

for the cylinder I is :(1/2)MR^2

So mgh=(1/2)I(Omega)^2+(1/2)mv^2

I plugged in I

Then I used (omega)=v/r to get here

mgh=(1/4)MR^2(v/r)^2+(1/2)mv^2 the masses cancel

Now what? How do I get h? Did I miss anything? Thank you in advance!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. At the start, the total system has only potential energy, MgR, where M is the total mass of the paper.
    2. At time "t", you should find that the mass of the remaining rolled-up paper, m, is:
    3. The potential energy of the total system remaining at time "t" is:
    4. The kinetic energy of the total system at time "t" is:
    by using the rolling condition to relate the angular velocity to the center of mass of the rolled up paper.
    5. Hence, you get:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?