Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please suggest books on mechanical components

1. Sep 3, 2005 #1
    Hi all!
    Thanks for suggesting some good fluid mechanics and thermodynamics books. I've borrowed them from my library and gonna read through then.

I would soon need to run a practical project on designing gear boxes. The bad thing is that I am really an idiot in those machine components like spur gears, worm gears, bearing etc.
    I would like to have a deep revision of the stuff from the beginning. And I also hope to get some practical designing kits from the books. I have no idea on which book to read. Would any one recommend some books for me? Thanks for you nice help~ :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you are looking for a book on Mechanical Engineering Design, Engieering Technology or Machine Design. Here are some suggestions

For books at Amazon, click on image for details and select Table of Contents.
    Theory of Machines and Mechanisms (Hardcover)
    by John Joseph Uicker, Gordon R. Pennock, Joseph E. Shigley, John J., Jr. Uicker, G. R. Pennock "The theory of machines and mechanisms is an applied science that is used to understand the relationships between the geometry and motions of the parts..."

Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach, 1st Edition
    Ansel Ugural, NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE TECH

Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering)
    by Joseph Edward Shigley, Charles R. Mischke

Machinery's Handbook, 27th Edition (Machinery's Handbook) no TOC available
    by Erik Oberg, Franklin D. Jones, Holbrook L. Horton, Henry H. Ryffel, Christopher J. McCauley (Editor), Riccardo M. Heald (Editor), Muhammed Iqbal Hussain (Editor)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?