Please suggest books on mechanical components

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for book recommendations on fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. They also mention needing help with machine components and designing gear boxes. The suggestions given include books on mechanical engineering design, engineering technology, and machine design, as well as specific titles such as "Theory of Machines and Mechanisms" and "Mechanical Engineering Design." "Machinery's Handbook" is also mentioned, but without a table of contents available.
stephen
Hi all!
Thanks for suggesting some good fluid mechanics and thermodynamics books. I've borrowed them from my library and going to read through then.

I would soon need to run a practical project on designing gear boxes. The bad thing is that I am really an idiot in those machine components like spur gears, worm gears, bearing etc.
I would like to have a deep revision of the stuff from the beginning. And I also hope to get some practical designing kits from the books. I have no idea on which book to read. Would anyone recommend some books for me? Thanks for you nice help~ :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you are looking for a book on Mechanical Engineering Design, Engieering Technology or Machine Design. Here are some suggestions

For books at Amazon, click on image for details and select Table of Contents.
Theory of Machines and Mechanisms (Hardcover)
by John Joseph Uicker, Gordon R. Pennock, Joseph E. Shigley, John J., Jr. Uicker, G. R. Pennock "The theory of machines and mechanisms is an applied science that is used to understand the relationships between the geometry and motions of the parts..."

http://catalogs.mhhe.com/mhhe/viewProductDetails.do?isbn=0072921854
Ansel Ugural, NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE TECH

Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering)
by Joseph Edward Shigley, Charles R. Mischke

Machinery's Handbook, 27th Edition (Machinery's Handbook) no TOC available
by Erik Oberg, Franklin D. Jones, Holbrook L. Horton, Henry H. Ryffel, Christopher J. McCauley (Editor), Riccardo M. Heald (Editor), Muhammed Iqbal Hussain (Editor)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, here are a few suggestions for books on mechanical components:

1. "Machine Elements in Mechanical Design" by Robert L. Mott - This is a comprehensive book that covers all types of mechanical components, including gears, bearings, and more. It also includes practical design examples and exercises.

2. "Mechanical Engineering Design" by Joseph E. Shigley and Charles R. Mischke - This book covers the fundamentals of mechanical design, including components such as gears and bearings. It also has a section on practical design projects.

3. "Design of Machine Elements" by V.B. Bhandari - This book focuses specifically on the design of machine elements, including gears, bearings, and other components. It also includes design examples and exercises.

4. "Mechanical Design of Machine Components" by Ansel C. Ugural - This book covers the design and analysis of various machine components, including gears and bearings. It also includes real-world examples and case studies.

5. "Mechanical Engineering Design: Principles and Practices" by Michael R. Lindeburg - This book covers the principles of mechanical design, including components such as gears and bearings. It also includes practice problems and design projects.

I hope these suggestions help you in your project and give you a better understanding of mechanical components. Best of luck!

1. What are some good books on mechanical components for beginners?

Some good books for beginners on mechanical components include "Mechanical Engineering: Principles and Practices" by John Bird, "Machine Elements in Mechanical Design" by Robert L. Mott, and "Fundamentals of Machine Component Design" by Robert C. Juvinall and Kurt M. Marshek.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on mechanical component design?

Yes, there are several books focused on mechanical component design, such as "Design of Machine Elements" by V. B. Bhandari and "Machine Design" by Robert L. Norton. These books cover topics such as design calculations, material selection, and failure analysis.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both theoretical and practical aspects of mechanical components?

"Mechanical Engineering Design" by Joseph E. Shigley and Charles R. Mischke is a comprehensive book that covers both theoretical and practical aspects of mechanical components. It includes real-world examples and case studies to help apply the theoretical concepts to practical situations.

4. Are there any books that focus on specific types of mechanical components?

Yes, there are books that focus on specific types of mechanical components, such as "Bearings and Lubrication: A Mechanical Designer's Workbook" by Dan B. Marghitu and "Valve Selection Handbook" by Peter Smith and R. W. Zappe. These books provide in-depth information on the design, selection, and application of specific components.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about mechanical components?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about mechanical components, including websites, forums, and online courses. Some popular websites include Mechanical Engineering Learning, Mechanical Engineering HQ, and Mechanical Engineering Portal. Additionally, many universities offer online courses on mechanical component design and engineering principles.