Preparing for Physics Olympiads in 2 Months: Books to Study

In summary: You could try using it as a supplement to the Feynman Lectures. In summary, for preparing for the upcoming national and international physics olympiad, it is recommended to get the olympiad problems from previous years and to utilize resources such as the Feynman Lectures on Physics for comprehensive coverage of theory and practice problems. The book Sears and Zemansky's University physics with modern physics may also be a useful supplement.
<shivay>
I want to prepare for upcoming national and international physics olympiad and i have about two months to do so. Can anyone suggest me a book topicwise or for complete physics. Thank You !

Physics news on Phys.org
<shivay> said:
I want to prepare for upcoming national and international physics olympiad and i have about two months to do so. Can anyone suggest me a book topicwise or for complete physics. Thank You !
Get the olympiad problems from previous years. They are usually online with solutions. For example here:
http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2015/exams.cfm

A.T. said:
Get the olympiad problems from previous years. They are usually online with solutions. For example here:
http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2015/exams.cfm
What about the theory ? How shall i prepare for that ?

<shivay> said:
What about the theory ?

What particular aspects of theory are you concerned about? "The theory" of physics is a very broad topic; you're not going to find a single book that covers everything.

PeterDonis said:
What particular aspects of theory are you concerned about? "The theory" of physics is a very broad topic; you're not going to find a single book that covers everything.
That is what i mean. If you could suggest any book for classical mechanics and electricity and magnetism which includes theory as well as good problems.
Also i am using Sears and Zemansky's University physics with modern physics, would that be sufficient.

<shivay> said:
If you could suggest any book for classical mechanics and electricity and magnetism which includes theory as well as good problems.

I've always liked the Feynman Lectures on Physics; it's very comprehensive (I said no single book can cover everything, but this probably comes pretty close). The print book version is not cheap, but there's an online version now:

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

<shivay> said:
i am using Sears and Zemansky's University physics with modern physics, would that be sufficient.

I'm not familiar with it so I can't say.

What are the best books to study for Physics Olympiads in 2 months?

The best books to study for Physics Olympiads in 2 months are "The Physics Olympiad Primer" by Ashish Arora, "300 Creative Physics Problems with Solutions" by László Holics, and "Physics Olympiad: Basic to Advanced Exercises" by The Committee of Japan Physics Olympiad.

How can I effectively prepare for Physics Olympiads in a short period of time?

To effectively prepare for Physics Olympiads in 2 months, it is important to focus on understanding the fundamental concepts and practicing problem-solving. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and also try to solve past Olympiad problems to get a feel for the level of difficulty.

Are there any online resources that can help me prepare for Physics Olympiads?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help you prepare for Physics Olympiads in 2 months. Some websites to check out include Physics Cup, Physics Forum, and the International Physics Olympiad website, which offers past problems and solutions.

Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to excel in Physics Olympiads?

While a strong mathematical background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to excel in Physics Olympiads. It is more important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and to be able to apply them to solving problems.

How can I make the most out of my study time for Physics Olympiads?

To make the most out of your study time, make sure to allocate enough time for both understanding the concepts and practicing problem-solving. It can also be helpful to work with a study partner or join a study group to discuss and solve problems together.