Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please support our troops in Iraq

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    http://www.ogrish.com/archives/dog_shooting_in_iraq_for_fun_Mar_16_2005.html

--
    March 16, 2005

Dog Shooting in Iraq for "Fun"

NOTE: Ogrish.com opposes behavior such as that below. We have provided the US military and animal organisation PETA details regarding the sender of this submission.

"Hi my name is M. D. formaly of A TRP 1-10 CAV 4ID and while in Iraq we had a sport of killing dogs whenever the Iraqis werent shooting us. So when I shot this one at about 50 yards with my M4 and it ran yelping to lower ground, we had to finish it so my friends and I went to it and started shooting it. I ve never seen a dog take as many shots to the head at least 4 as this one did and then after we thought it was dead we dug a hole and when I picked it up with the shovel it came back to life, so we shot it a couple more times....its pretty funny."
    --

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2
    What are we supposed to be discussing in this thread?

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3

SOS2008

Gold Member

War is an ugly thing. This behavior is referred to a desensitization, and is common to law enforcement, and even medical (especially ER) work, etc. I'm not condoning or excusing this, but let's understand that soldiers aren't trained to defend our nation by being "sensitive" -- though I certainly don't excuse human rights violations per earlier threads on Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib for any reason.

Support the troops? As stated before, I also am not in favor of the mindless ribbons all over people's vehicles, and the God Bless America gear is down-right against separation of church and state.

I support the troops by not supporting unnecessary war. I support our country by supporting preservation of democracy right here at home.

5. Mar 18, 2005 #4
    That is utterly dispicable and disgusting.

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5
    Where is your "support the troops" supposed to come in here?

7. Mar 18, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How is wal-mart selling a t-shirt that says god bless america in violation of the ficticious seperation of church and state? Remember, church and state state state.

8. Mar 18, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And possibly untrue. Anyone know if that even looks like the climate of Iraq or the dogs there? And this cant be very wide-spread behavior if its even true at all. You dont go around discharging your weapon in a warzone at random times. Might as well ask the enemy to find you.

9. Mar 18, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember a guy I know telling me that "Basra is hell, it's just sand and dogs". He was a Royal Commando Signaller, posted in Basra for 6 months last year. So, I asked him to look at the video and he says it looks pretty typical of Iraqi terrain, but supposed it could be a thousand other places as well.

10. Mar 18, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well if its possible then probably is.

11. Mar 18, 2005 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you think it would be a violation of rights for who ever is making the God bless America goods, if they were somehow prohibited from selling them?
    Your only recourse is not to give them your money, I don't.

As for the OP, anyone who has ever spent much time around teenagers and guns will have no problem believing that video. There must be a bunch of dogs on the loose and one could suppose that they must be making a nuisance of themselves to suffer such a fate. In general excess of anything will breed contempt.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  12. Mar 18, 2005 #11

SK

There´s green places, especially in northern iraq. The video looks real to me, soldiers under/after combat stress sometimes tend to do stupid and violent things. Discharging the weapon when you´re out of the fence shouldn´t be that much of a problem, that´s what it´s for after all. Firing warning shots and stuff is so common that there are probably not too many questions asked.
    While iraq is a warzone of sorts, it´s not like the insurgents would have to hear gunshots to find US soldiers. The US forces operate checkpoints, they have to show presence and stuff, so firing at dogs won´t make a difference.
    Another example of less than ideal behaviour:
    http://www.combatreform.com/damfnonroadblockiniraq.wmv

13. Mar 18, 2005 #12

SOS2008

Gold Member

Agreed. It is their freedom of speech. The KKK has freedom of speech too, but it doesn't mean their message of racism is a good thing. The removal of separation of church and state is what I oppose.
    I thought this as well. Most of these soldiers are very young, and probably lack emotional maturity to deal with most of what they are exposed to, and most boys could probably admit to shooting birds or what have you with bee-bee guns, etc.

14. Mar 18, 2005 #13
    Even if it is untrue, that doesn't make it any less nasty.

15. Mar 18, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's the separation of church and state that allows them to be sold. If people believe in some god and/or religion and wish to express that belief, they are free to do so without repercussions from the government. Likewise, if you do not share that belief, nobody is requiring you to display those messages on your person or property.

16. Mar 18, 2005 #15

kat

umm so what do they do with wild, diseased...stray dogs in Iraq? Can you imagine this country (U.S.) without animal control?

17. Mar 18, 2005 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

That's probably about the least of their concerns right now.

18. Mar 19, 2005 #17

kat

I think...it could be a very great concern and might also explain why soldiers would be shooting roaming dogs.

19. Mar 19, 2005 #18
    What if Animal Control Officers carried assault weapons, and fired into neighborhoods, if they found dogs off the leash? What if they shot your dog, while driving down your street, and laughed about it, stopping an pumping in a few more rounds? What if they then pointed their weapons at you if you complained, and actually shot you for terrorist activity?

I just see this stuff as gross disrespect of the Iraqi people, much less their dogs, and horrifically narcissistic. I mean really, we would put people in jail for this activity, in Utah. Occasionally there are sad puppy stores where people find a half dozen Black Lab puppies executed and thrown in the trash, because they couldn't be sold. Authorities go after these guys, and one of the big watch phrases, is "If people abuse animals, chances are they are abusing their wives and children too."

If we are going to make the world our neighborhood that we police; then we had better behave impeccably.

20. Mar 19, 2005 #19
    It seems to me this is a discipline problem, it doesn't matter if the soldier's are de-sensitized, morality has nothing to do with it, they shouldn't be doing it simply because it will attract attention to them, and lower public support. If it were up to me I would have every soldier who commits an act like this court martialled, make an example of every single one. This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated.

21. Mar 19, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would that explain why a soldier finds it "pretty funny" that after repeatedly shooting the dog, it was still alive as they went to bury it, so they shot it some more? He didn't say they were shooting them to control vicious strays, or sickly animals, he said they made a sport of it.

I have no idea if the story is true, or if this is at all widespread (this could be from a group of guys who would be out making sport of shooting neighborhood cats and dogs back home too, not at all indicative of typical behavior; I suspect that's the most likely situation), but if it is true, it's callous and cruel, not to mention more practical concerns that they are wasting ammo and bringing attention to their position.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?