Please teach me about the mass of Sgr A*

• I
  • Thread starter arcTomato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: But the ellipse has two foci, so the centripetal force is always directed towards one of the foci. This focus of the centripetal force keeps the ellipse in orbit.
arcTomato
TL;DR Summary
Please teach me about the mass of Sgr A*
Hello

I have no idea why underline part of my pic says like that.
"Radio observations show that the component of this motion perpendicular to the Galactic plane is at most 0.4 ± 0.9 km s−1"
So What? Why this sentence shows the mass??
("The radio emitting source(underline part)" = Sgr A*?right??)

Sorry for my bad English. I'm grad if you teach me.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The star S2 and the radio source SgrA* are orbiting about their common center of mass. The ratio of their orbital velocities is inversely proportional to the ratio of their masses. In other words, the more massive one moves slower. We can see the motion of S2 so we know its orbital velocity about SgrA*. The radio observations put an upper limit on the speed of the orbital motion of SgrA*. We know (roughly) the mass of the star S2, so from the ratio of the orbital velocities we can put a lower limit on the mass of SgrA*. Does this make sense?

Likes RayvenWolfe and arcTomato
Thanks for reply.

phyzguy said:
We can see the motion of S2 so we know its orbital velocity about SgrA*.

How can I calcualte this??Law of angular momentum conservation and Law of energy conservation?

And Why dose orbital velocity connect the motion perpendicular to the Galactic plane ??

arcTomato said:
How dose it calcualte??Law of angular momentum conservation and Law of energy conservation?
Are you asking how we calculate the velocity of S2? You can see its orbit, so you know the angular size of the orbit. You know how far away it is, so you can calculate the actual size of the orbit in km. You can see from the times how long it takes to orbit (about 20 years). So its a simple matter to calculate its orbital velocity. Is that your question?

Likes arcTomato
??
I can't understand yet 😭
The velocity of S2 is not constant?right??

and how we know the mass of S2?

arcTomato said:
??
I can't understand yet 😭
The velocity of S2 is not constant?right??

and how we know the mass of S2?

I'm being approximate and trying to give you the idea of how it's done. Remember this is just an order-of-magnitude calculation, since the measured velocity of SgrA* was 0.4+/-0.9 km/s, and is very uncertain. If the orbit of S2 were circular, then the velocity would be constant. It's actually an ellipse, so the velocity varies, but from Kepler's second law this is easy to calculate. As for the mass, S2 is a star. We know the masses of stars and how the masses depend on how bright they are. We know how far away it is and we know how bright it is, so we know about how massive it is.

Likes arcTomato
phyzguy said:
I'm being approximate and trying to give you the idea of how it's done. Remember this is just an order-of-magnitude calculation, since the measured velocity of SgrA* was 0.4+/-0.9 km/s, and is very uncertain. If the orbit of S2 were circular, then the velocity would be constant. It's actually an ellipse, so the velocity varies, but from Kepler's second law this is easy to calculate. As for the mass, S2 is a star. We know the masses of stars and how the masses depend on how bright they are. We know how far away it is and we know how bright it is, so we know about how massive it is.

Ok I think I can do this now, thanks for your kindness!

P.S.
Finally I can understand almost this sentence!
thank you!
But I do not know only one place that
phyzguy said:
The ratio of their orbital velocities is inversely proportional to the ratio of their masses. In other words, the more massive one moves slower.
How can I lead this ratio?
EDIT: Someone who can teach me , PLEASE! 🙃

Last edited:
arcTomato said:
How can I lead this ratio?
Let's pretend that the orbital eccentricity is low, so we approximate the orbit as circular. Then, what is the relationship between the tangent (orbital) speed ##v## of an object, the radius of its orbit (semi-major axis) ##a## and its orbital period ##P##?
Once you figure this out for both objects and combine it with the fact that they are orbiting about their common center of mass, you will find what you are looking for.
Hint: Obviously, the more massive object must be closer to the center of mass of the binary system.

Likes arcTomato
Wow lomidrevo it's you!, thank you again!

lomidrevo said:
what is the relationship between the tangent (orbital) speed ##v## of an object, the radius of its orbit (semi-major axis) ##a## and its orbital period ##P##?
I think ##P=2πa/v##,and

Is it right??

but this orbit is ellipse, Why this ratio still works?

arcTomato said:
but this orbit is ellipse, Why this ratio still works?
This ratio is just saying that in the center of mass of the system the total momentum is zero, so p(sgrA*) = -p(S2).

Likes arcTomato
phyzguy said:
This ratio is just saying that in the center of mass of the system the total momentum is zero, so p(sgrA*) = -p(S2).
y I realize it now.
Thank you!

arcTomato said:
Is it right??
perhaps it could be reduced to fewer steps, but the result is ok. E.g. the employment of the third Kepler's law would not be needed. Remember you want to find a ratio of velocities, so quantities like ##P## and ##a## cancel out.
Anyway, the argument provided by @phyzguy is far more elegant and generalizes to eccentric orbits as well.

Likes arcTomato
OK, Thank you so much @lomidrevo and @phyzguy.
Your explanation are so easy to understand.

Likes RayvenWolfe

1. What is the mass of Sgr A*?

The mass of Sgr A* is estimated to be around 4 million times the mass of our sun. This makes it a supermassive black hole.

2. How do scientists measure the mass of Sgr A*?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the mass of Sgr A*. One common method is to observe the orbits of stars and gas clouds around the black hole and use Kepler's laws of motion to calculate its mass.

3. Why is the mass of Sgr A* important to study?

The mass of Sgr A* is important to study because it is the closest supermassive black hole to Earth and provides valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. It also helps us better understand the behavior of matter and gravity in extreme conditions.

4. Has the mass of Sgr A* changed over time?

It is believed that the mass of Sgr A* has remained relatively constant over time. However, there is ongoing research to study the possibility of fluctuations in its mass due to accretion of matter from its surrounding environment.

5. Are there any uncertainties in the measurement of Sgr A*'s mass?

While the measurement of Sgr A*'s mass is considered to be accurate, there are still some uncertainties due to the complexity of the methods used and the limitations of our current technology. However, ongoing advancements in technology and research continue to improve our understanding of this supermassive black hole.