Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please tell me how to solve these

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    please tell me how to solve these!!

hi there.i really want someone to help me with questions 2,3 and 5
    in the attached document.

i am really stuck.I tried solving question 2 using planar polar coordinates..and tried to get the given time value for the angle set at 45..however i am getiing the time to be 1/K^0.5

Also i seriously dunno how to go about 3(b)...and 5.can u please guide me.this is a practise sheet for the exams.And i wanna get good grades!PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    For problem 2,the position vector is given by
    [tex]p(t)=a \left(Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)[/tex]

if the center is the origin and the line joining the center and the starting point is the x-axis

Now

[tex]\frac{dp(t)}{dt}=kt \left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)=kt \vec{u}[/tex]
    where
    [tex]\vec{u}=\left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)[/tex]
    is a unit vector
    and
    [tex]\frac{d^{2}p(t)}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{k^2 t^2}{a}\left(Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)+k \left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right) =-\frac{k^2 t^2}{a} \vec{v} +k \vec{u}[/tex]

It can be seen that u and v are othogonal and velocity vector is along u
    Hence for 45 we need the components along u and v to be equal in magnitude

ie

[tex]\frac{k^2 t^2}{a}=k[/tex]
    or
    [tex]t=\sqrt{\frac{a}{k}}[/tex]

For problem 3

acceleration of rim along horizontal wrt center is [tex]\alpha R=a[/tex]
    along vertical it is [tex]\frac{v^2}{R_0}[/tex]

hence the net acceleration is the vector sum of both
    which is [tex]\sqrt{a^2+\frac{v^4}{R_0^2}}[/tex]

For the next case, the position vector is given by

[tex]p(t)=(0.5 a_0 t^2+bt+c)\vec{i}+R(Sin(\theta) \vec{i}+Cos(\theta) \vec{j})[/tex]

Differentiating twice we get the acceleration which comess to be
    [tex](a+a Cos\theta-\frac{v^2}{R} Sin\theta) \vec{i} -(a Sin\theta+\frac{v^2}{R} Cos\theta) \vec{j} [/tex]

whose magnitude is

[tex]a_0 \sqrt{2+\frac{v^4}{a_0^2R_0^2}+2Cos(\theta)-2\frac{v^2 }{R_0 a_0}Sin(\theta)}[/tex]

For the last problem you put
    [tex]\vec{e_u}=Cos(\theta) \vec{i} +Sin(\theta) \vec{j}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\vec{e_v}=-Sin(\theta) \vec{i} +Cos(\theta) \vec{j}[/tex]

So we get
    [tex]\frac{d\hat{e_u}}{dt}=\hat{e_v} \frac{u\dot{v}-v\dot{u}}{2\sqrt{uv} (u+v)}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d\hat{e_v}}{dt}=\hat{e_u} \frac{v\dot{u}-u\dot{v}}{2\sqrt{uv} (u+v)}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    thanks...

thanks a bunch balakrishnan
    ill definitely compare and see where i went wrong!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook