1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please tell me how to solve these

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    please tell me how to solve these!!

hi there.i really want someone to help me with questions 2,3 and 5
    in the attached document.

i am really stuck.I tried solving question 2 using planar polar coordinates..and tried to get the given time value for the angle set at 45..however i am getiing the time to be 1/K^0.5

Also i seriously dunno how to go about 3(b)...and 5.can u please guide me.this is a practise sheet for the exams.And i wanna get good grades!PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    For problem 2,the position vector is given by
    [tex]p(t)=a \left(Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)[/tex]

if the center is the origin and the line joining the center and the starting point is the x-axis

[tex]\frac{dp(t)}{dt}=kt \left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)=kt \vec{u}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{u}=\left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)[/tex]
    is a unit vector
    [tex]\frac{d^{2}p(t)}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{k^2 t^2}{a}\left(Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)+k \left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right) =-\frac{k^2 t^2}{a} \vec{v} +k \vec{u}[/tex]

It can be seen that u and v are othogonal and velocity vector is along u
    Hence for 45 we need the components along u and v to be equal in magnitude

[tex]\frac{k^2 t^2}{a}=k[/tex]

For problem 3

acceleration of rim along horizontal wrt center is [tex]\alpha R=a[/tex]
    along vertical it is [tex]\frac{v^2}{R_0}[/tex]

hence the net acceleration is the vector sum of both
    which is [tex]\sqrt{a^2+\frac{v^4}{R_0^2}}[/tex]

For the next case, the position vector is given by

[tex]p(t)=(0.5 a_0 t^2+bt+c)\vec{i}+R(Sin(\theta) \vec{i}+Cos(\theta) \vec{j})[/tex]

Differentiating twice we get the acceleration which comess to be
    [tex](a+a Cos\theta-\frac{v^2}{R} Sin\theta) \vec{i} -(a Sin\theta+\frac{v^2}{R} Cos\theta) \vec{j} [/tex]

whose magnitude is

[tex]a_0 \sqrt{2+\frac{v^4}{a_0^2R_0^2}+2Cos(\theta)-2\frac{v^2 }{R_0 a_0}Sin(\theta)}[/tex]

For the last problem you put
    [tex]\vec{e_u}=Cos(\theta) \vec{i} +Sin(\theta) \vec{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{e_v}=-Sin(\theta) \vec{i} +Cos(\theta) \vec{j}[/tex]

So we get
    [tex]\frac{d\hat{e_u}}{dt}=\hat{e_v} \frac{u\dot{v}-v\dot{u}}{2\sqrt{uv} (u+v)}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d\hat{e_v}}{dt}=\hat{e_u} \frac{v\dot{u}-u\dot{v}}{2\sqrt{uv} (u+v)}[/tex]
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3

thanks a bunch balakrishnan
    ill definitely compare and see where i went wrong!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?