1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please verify my answer!

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use W=Integral F.Tds
    To find workdone when a particle is moved along the helix x=cost, y=sint, z=2t from (1,0,0) to (1,0,4pi) against a force F(x,y,z)=-yi+xj+zk = -sinti+costj+2tk ( substituting above)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let rt = costi+sintj+2tk
    r't= -sinti+costj+2k

Therefore W= Intergral(0tp4pi)[ <-sint,cost,2>.<-sint,cos t,2t>=Intergal[sin^2t+cos^2+2t] = [t+2t^2]from 0 to 4pi

Giving the answer 4pi+32pi^2

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    Please assist...I am lost

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You can't be all that lost: it looks like your work integral is set up correctly.

The path that the particle travels on is a helix (an ascending circular spiral) starting at (1, 0, 0) and ending at (1, 0, 4·pi). The parametric equation for this path is given as x = cos t, y = sin t, z = 2t . You said you're starting the path integral at t = 0, which corresponds to x = cos 0 = 1 , y = sin 0 = 0 , z = 2·0 = 0 , which checks against the starting coordinates. So what value must t have for the ending coordinates? That is the value you would end your integration of the dot product (1 + 4t) at.

6. Dec 4, 2007 #5
    I get the point, and I am now using 2pi as the ending coordinate. My next dump question is having (-1,0,4pi) not (1,0,4pi) when i apply 2pi to the parametric equations.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

cos(2·pi) = ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?