1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please verify this notion regarding . momentum

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    Please verify this notion regarding..... momentum

Hello. Could someone verify this notion about momentum.... thanks

here is info:
    - The conserved closed system here, is a vehicle and the planet (via the road attached)
    - A stationary vehicle has no momentum
    - A moving vehicle has some momentum

here is point to verify:
    A moving vehicle has created a quantity of momentum (forward direction for vehicle) AND it has created a quantity of momentum (opposite direction for planet)
    * So... the total quantity of momentum is exactly half each?
    As p=mv
    * So... the vehicle will have very small m and large v quantity
    * So... the planet will have large m and very small v quantity

I wish to know if I can correctly state...... the total quantity of momentum is half each (for vehicle and planet)

[this is linear momentum and no other factors effect the closed system]

much appreciate thoughts, cheers stephenn

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You've pretty much on the right track here, but it is not correct to say that the total amount of momentum is "half each". Momentum is a signed quantity (that is, direction matters) so you should say that the total momentum is still zero:

Vehicle's momentum we'll call P; we get this by multiplying a small mass times a large velocity. Now the earth's momentum is -P; we get this by multiplying an enormous mass times a very small negative velocity. Total momentum is the momentum of the earth plus the momentum of the vehicle, P+(-P) = 0.

Doing it this way, the total momentum is conserved: zero before and zero after.

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks for reply.... and workings.... I understand that the phrase of half and half doesn't carry with it, the direction factor (one being opposite to the other).

I still wish to test "worded" / "spoken" notions, that will hold true:
    so for the same notion:

In the closed system, mentioned..... should this hold true?:
    Any momentum present (for vehicle and planet), will be identical in quantity, but apply in opposite directions.

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Better to say: The change in momentum of each will be equal and opposite.

6. Apr 12, 2013 #5
    haha, I was prodding and poking at my sentence to get it more concise.... got the equal and opposite bit.... your "change" and neat phrasing gets a thumbs up, thankyou. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook