Introducing Papa Bernhardt: Greg'sDad on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Welcome
In summary: I also used punch cards for a thesis at the university where I got my degree in 1977.:)Welcome Greg'sDad!I hope you will enjoy Physics Forums, Greg'sDad.You're only old if you ever programmed by punching cards. :biggrin:
I did start out with punch cards! See, I am old. I was at University of WI, Madison in Mechanical Engineering (my half-life was 5 years) and my first punch card program in Fortran hung up the mainframe. They confiscated my program and really thought I did something bad on purpose! Computers have not always been my friend, but I appreciate what they do for me when needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm really lost with all the fish talk. I'll have to ask Greg,

Greg'sDad said:
Hey everyone! Yes, Greg's Mother and I are unbelieveably proud of Greg and his Sister. I'm a bit of a neophyte with forums, but have been into computers since my first Apple II in the early 80's. Yes, I'm that old.

It's very touching to hear all the compliments about Greg!
Greg had an exceptional idea with PF. It's a one-of-a-kind!

Anyway, I started out with pencil, paper and slide rule, and used teletypes (TTY) and timesharing, modems through phones, punch tapes and punch cards - and I'm not that old. :biggrin:

Welcome to PF, Dad!

Tsu said:
I'm not sure there actually IS an 'explanation' for the fish-whacking. It just kind of... started. :biggrin:

Welcome GregsDad! Just remember... you like itsy bitsy teenie weenie little goldfish OK?

Yeah, it seemed to evolve from the free bowls of cereal in the welcome tent. I think I'll take fish over a sack of grain for whacking.

Borek said:
Does punching paper tape count? :wink:

I suppose it would ... but may I ask just how long ago people were doing that, in your neck of the woods?

I used punch cards in a freshman programming course at Case Western Reserve. The very next year they brought in these newfangled CRT terminals, so I was in the very last group to use cards there.

My grade school teacher used punch cards to grade our multiple choice tests...he'd punch out the holes and then hold them over our answer sheets...marked it wrong if the bubble wasn't filled in under the hole in the card. Does that count? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
My grade school teacher used punch cards to grade our multiple choice tests...he'd punch out the holes and then hold them over our answer sheets...marked it wrong if the bubble wasn't filled in under the hole in the card. Does that count? :biggrin:

Off-topic, but that seems way too easy to cheat on..Couldn't you just fill in multiple bubbles?

JamesU said:
Off-topic, but that seems way too easy to cheat on..Couldn't you just fill in multiple bubbles?

He'd have noticed anything that obvious...not like he wasn't looking at each one as he placed the card over it. Or maybe we were just an honest class.

If I apologize here for going totally GD in Greg'sDad thread do I get off lightly?

No!

Redbelly98 said:
I suppose it would ... but may I ask just how long ago people were doing that, in your neck of the woods?

I have seen tape punchers in use here somewehere in mid-seventies; I was a teenager at the time and my best use for them was to write messages on the tape making letters from holes - like KOCHAM JOLE (I love Jola, no idea who Jola was but for some reason I am sure that's what it said); all I remember is that complete row of holes was just a cancelation. Tape was used for input on Polish Odra computers. In 1981 when I wrote my first program (for CDC Cyber) I have used card puncher, but most likely is 70/80 both things were used at the same time, just in different places.

Last Odra still works at railway station in Wrocław. If it ain't broken - don't fix it :wink:

Oops, how do I fix the message that it looks like it is still ON topic?

Welcome Greg's Dad!

(was it enough?)

Last edited:
<h2>1. Who is Papa Bernhardt?</h2><p>Papa Bernhardt is the father of Greg, a member of the Physics Forums community. He is a retired physicist with a wealth of knowledge and experience.</p><h2>2. Why is Papa Bernhardt being introduced on Physics Forums?</h2><p>Papa Bernhardt is being introduced on Physics Forums as a way to share his insights and expertise with the community. He has a unique perspective that can contribute to discussions and help others learn.</p><h2>3. What can we expect from Papa Bernhardt's contributions on Physics Forums?</h2><p>Papa Bernhardt will be sharing his thoughts and insights on various topics related to physics and science. He may also answer questions and engage in discussions with other members.</p><h2>4. How can I interact with Papa Bernhardt on Physics Forums?</h2><p>You can interact with Papa Bernhardt by commenting on his posts or starting a discussion with him. He may also respond to questions or comments directed at him.</p><h2>5. Is Papa Bernhardt an expert in a specific field of physics?</h2><p>Papa Bernhardt has a broad range of knowledge in physics, but he may have a particular expertise in a certain field. He will likely share this information in his posts and discussions.</p>

1. Who is Papa Bernhardt?

Papa Bernhardt is the father of Greg, a member of the Physics Forums community. He is a retired physicist with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

2. Why is Papa Bernhardt being introduced on Physics Forums?

Papa Bernhardt is being introduced on Physics Forums as a way to share his insights and expertise with the community. He has a unique perspective that can contribute to discussions and help others learn.

3. What can we expect from Papa Bernhardt's contributions on Physics Forums?

Papa Bernhardt will be sharing his thoughts and insights on various topics related to physics and science. He may also answer questions and engage in discussions with other members.

4. How can I interact with Papa Bernhardt on Physics Forums?

You can interact with Papa Bernhardt by commenting on his posts or starting a discussion with him. He may also respond to questions or comments directed at him.

5. Is Papa Bernhardt an expert in a specific field of physics?

Papa Bernhardt has a broad range of knowledge in physics, but he may have a particular expertise in a certain field. He will likely share this information in his posts and discussions.