Thread Spool Resting on Table: Understanding Lever Arm and Torque

• Thread starter kris_h41
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a scenario where a common thread spool was placed on a flat table and a person gently pulled on a short piece of thread attached to the spool, causing it to slide without rotating. It was concluded that with the thread arm at this angle, the lever arm is small, but not zero, and the torque is zero. The conversation then questioned the physical possibility of this scenario and considered the angle to be 45 degrees due to the relationship between sin and cos. The table's friction was also brought into consideration.
kris_h41
a common thread spool rests on a flat table. you gentyly pull at an angle on a short piece of thread attached to the spool that causes the spool to slide withouut rotating. with the thread arm at this ange the lever arm is??

a- small, but not zero, and the torque is zero
b- perpendicular to the applied force
c-small and the torque is also small
d-zero and their is no torque produced by your pull

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is such a thing physically possible?

I think that the angle would be 45 degrees because in this problem, with a frictionless table, sinx = cosx

Is the table frictionless?

1. What is the purpose of asking for help with a question?

The purpose of asking for help with a question is to seek assistance or guidance from someone who has knowledge or expertise on the topic. This can help to clarify any confusion or provide additional information that may be needed to understand the question better.

2. How should I phrase my request for help with a question?

When asking for help with a question, it is important to be clear and specific about what you are asking for. Avoid using vague language and provide as much context as possible. It is also helpful to use polite language and express gratitude for any assistance given.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with a question on the internet?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for help with a question on the internet. There are many online communities, forums, and resources available where individuals can seek assistance and receive helpful responses. However, it is important to be cautious and verify the credibility of the source before relying on the information provided.

4. How can I ensure that I receive accurate help with my question?

To ensure that you receive accurate help with your question, it is important to provide as much detail as possible and ask for clarification if needed. It is also beneficial to seek help from multiple sources and compare the responses to determine the most accurate answer.

5. Is it important to acknowledge and thank those who help with my question?

Yes, it is important to acknowledge and thank those who take the time to help with your question. It shows appreciation for their assistance and encourages a positive and helpful community. It is also helpful to provide feedback or updates on the situation, so others can learn from your experience.