Compiling List of Basic Pleasure Stimuli

• Medical
  • Thread starter pikapika!
  • Start date
In summary, there are several basic physical inputs that can trigger the release of happiness chemicals in the brain. These include laughter, touch, sex, and exercise. These activities all involve some form of physical stress on the body, which leads to the release of endorphins and dopamine, resulting in a feeling of euphoria. Additionally, certain tastes, such as sugar and fat lipids, can also trigger pleasure, along with more complex flavors found in fruits. Even spicy foods, like chile peppers, can stimulate the release of happiness chemicals.
pikapika!
I'm trying to compile a list of all the basic physical input which realeases happiness chemicals.

some of these sound painful in excess and in moderation the happiness felt is 0 but I am assuming during deprivation

expanding of the osophogus
blood to heart muscles joints brain.
skin approach 33 degrees celcius.
oxygen to lungs.
scratching an itch.
vibration of voicebox.
intestines expanded.
atmospheric pressure on skin and muscles.
average moisture on skin.
fat lipids to tounge
sugar to tounge
salt to tounge
temporary brain shutdown.
touching penishead/clitoris.

Biology news on Phys.org
pikapika! said:
touching penishead/clitoris.
Yes, I like that one.

What does approaching 33 degrees C mean? ~28 is room temperature.

You raise an interesting discussion, what external inputs triggers pleasure chemistry of the brain.. I am no neuroscientist. (However I did work in a psychopharmacology lab for a couple years, that focused research on neurophysiological and anatomical bases of pain perception). I found a well written and researched paper by a student at Bryn Mawr College (PA), that addresses this topic. Several comments below were from her paper.
Laughter - people who are laughing near you or if you see or hear something that funny, causing you to laugh, triggers brain's pleasure chemistry.
Touch - triggers pleasure, from a hug or kiss to a full body massage. It is no wonder that the massage business is not lacking for customers.
Sex - an extension to the touch stimulus, and a more complex psychological activity, certainly has a pleasure stimulus component.
Exercise - especially of the intense variety, triggers pleasure, feeling of euphoria..

This last one has a lot in common with several on your list. Physical stresses on the body trigger release of endorphins (body natural pain inhibitor), there is a simultaneous accumulation of dopamine (neurotransmitter). This combination has been described to create the euphoric or happy feeling.

You mentioned a few food taste inputs: i'll give example with each: candy (sugar), potato chips (both salt and fat lipid), ice cream (both fat lipid and sugar). But there are certainly others, for instance ripe fruits like a peach, watermelon, strawberry, banana. Each of these has sugar but also ?? other complex flavors that stimulate pleasure.

Another interesting food related one, chile peppers. The capsaicin responsible for intense heat or burning in your mouth. This can also trigger the endorphin/dopamine activity, triggering pleasure.

Last edited:

1. What is a "Compiling List of Basic Pleasure Stimuli"?

A "Compiling List of Basic Pleasure Stimuli" is a scientific process of identifying and categorizing different stimuli that elicit positive or pleasurable responses in human beings. These stimuli can range from basic sensory experiences like taste, touch, and smell, to more complex activities like listening to music or spending time with loved ones.

2. Why is it important to compile a list of basic pleasure stimuli?

Compiling a list of basic pleasure stimuli is important for several reasons. First, it allows researchers to better understand the mechanisms behind pleasure and happiness, which can have significant implications for mental health and well-being. Additionally, this list can be used in therapeutic settings to help individuals identify and engage in pleasurable activities that can improve their overall quality of life.

3. How is a "Compiling List of Basic Pleasure Stimuli" conducted?

The process of compiling a list of basic pleasure stimuli involves conducting surveys, experiments, and interviews to gather data on different stimuli that individuals find pleasurable. This data is then analyzed and categorized to create a comprehensive list of basic pleasure stimuli that can be used in research and therapy.

4. What are some examples of basic pleasure stimuli?

Examples of basic pleasure stimuli include things like eating delicious food, taking a warm bath, listening to soothing music, engaging in physical touch, and spending time in nature. However, the list can also include more complex stimuli like engaging in creative activities, learning new skills, and spending time with loved ones.

5. Can the list of basic pleasure stimuli vary from person to person?

Yes, the list of basic pleasure stimuli can vary from person to person. While there may be some common stimuli that elicit pleasure for most individuals, each person's experiences, preferences, and cultural backgrounds can influence their individual list of pleasurable stimuli. This is why compiling a comprehensive list is important in understanding the diverse range of stimuli that can bring joy and happiness to different individuals.

Back