Pleeeease help, FISH&friends

• Thread starter Dr. Nick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion and difficulty in understanding different methods such as FISH, mFISH, chromosome painting, BandFISH, and SKY. The individual is seeking clarification on the differences and purposes of each method, particularly struggling with understanding chromosome painting and its similarity to mFISH. They also mention the use of DNA probes to paint different colors on chromosomes and how it relates to FISH images. The conversation ends with a realization that ARMS and AS PCR are the same method.
Dr. Nick
I’ve really lost my nerves on this one :(, I have to learn some methods and differences between them, but I can’t manage it. And all I have is an internet as help.

Methods are :
FISH
mFISH
Chromosome painting
BandFISH
SKY

I just can’t establish difference between some of them, purposes.
Especially Chromosome painting, c’mon I don’t get it, one site says it’s basically mFISH, on other something else. :confused:

This is where I am now:

FISH - using singlestrain DNA fluorescence labeled probe (1 probe I guess)
mFISH - using multiple singlestrain DNA fluorescence labeled probes giving different colours
Chromosome painting – same as mFISH ?
BandFISH – painting whole chromosome in different color bands
SKY – painting all chromosomes (with what ?, DNA probes ?) in different colors for cariotyping

And when in FISH picture you see red probe on chromosome you can see whole chromosome painted in blue, is this done by probes of some kind of color specificlu binding for chromosomes (I’ve saw this in other methods too).

Thank You !

Biology news on Phys.org
Situation is better now, once I found better resources on the net…

p.s. ARMS = ASO ?

Update:
AS PCR is also known as ARMS

1. What is the purpose of "Pleeeease help, FISH&friends"?

The purpose of "Pleeeease help, FISH&friends" is to raise awareness about the importance of preserving our oceans and the marine life that inhabits them. It also aims to educate people about sustainable fishing practices and the impact of overfishing on the environment.

2. How can I get involved with "Pleeeease help, FISH&friends"?

There are many ways to get involved with "Pleeeease help, FISH&friends". You can join conservation organizations, participate in beach cleanups, reduce your plastic consumption, and support sustainable fishing practices. You can also spread the message and educate others about the importance of protecting our oceans.

3. What are the biggest threats to marine life?

Some of the biggest threats to marine life include overfishing, pollution, climate change, and habitat destruction. These factors can have a devastating impact on the delicate balance of marine ecosystems, leading to the decline of many species and the destruction of their habitats. It is important to address these threats and take action to protect our oceans and the creatures that live in them.

4. How does overfishing affect the environment?

Overfishing can have a significant impact on the environment. It can lead to the depletion of fish populations, disrupt the food chain, and alter the balance of marine ecosystems. It can also result in the destruction of habitats, as large fishing vessels use destructive fishing methods that can damage the ocean floor and other marine life. Overfishing also contributes to the global issue of food insecurity, as it depletes a vital food source for millions of people.

5. What are some sustainable fishing practices?

Sustainable fishing practices include using selective fishing methods that target specific species and avoid bycatch, reducing the amount of fishing gear used to prevent damage to the ocean floor, and implementing catch limits to prevent overfishing. Other practices include supporting local and small-scale fisheries, practicing proper waste management, and promoting sustainable seafood choices. These practices help to maintain healthy fish populations and protect the marine environment.