Plexiglass forming and shaping

• Thread starter stevejohnson48
  • Start date
In summary: Polycarbonate you can't paint it can you ??Yes, "polycarbonate" == "Plexiglas". Are you actually thinking about and referring to "acrylic" material? You never said anything about 1/2" thick material, your sketch doesn't show this. Stock 1/2" thick will be difficult to form. I would guess it would need to be pressed into a form mold. Painting...not sure. I suppose you could find a suitable primer, then paint over it.Sorry typo??/ Late entree 1/4" material looking for something with a tint and I keep thinking about distortion after the first bend and the let off
stevejohnson48
Is there anybody familiar with the property's of plexiglass with a narrow piece and a double radius ( vertical and horizontal)at the same location with two different dimensioned (vertical 6 inch. horizontal 14 inch.) radius's ∏ Please advise Steve/ primitive drawing attached in hast

Attachments

• boat wake shield 001.jpg
    boat wake shield 001.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 480
Engineering news on Phys.org
You might be able to drape-form it:
  • construct your drape form
  • cut your polycarbonate to correct flat size
  • heat up the flat piece to make soft & pliable...230F or so if I remember correctly
  • move flat heated piece from oven to drape form and let gravity do its thing

If gravity doesn't do its thing, then you could provide a vacuum assist to help pull the heated piece to match the form geometry.

tygerdawg said:
You might be able to drape-form it:
  • construct your drape form
  • cut your polycarbonate to correct flat size
  • heat up the flat piece to make soft & pliable...230F or so if I remember correctly
  • move flat heated piece from oven to drape form and let gravity do its thing

If gravity doesn't do its thing, then you could provide a vacuum assist to help pull the heated piece to match the form geometry.
° Polycarbonate ??/ The material is probably going to be 1/2 inch thick ??/ Some one some where said if you paint your form black it will also help in the shape shifting if you will??/ Polycarbonate you can't paint it can you ??/

Yes, "polycarbonate" == "Plexiglas". Are you actually thinking about and referring to "acrylic" material?

You never said anything about 1/2" thick material, your sketch doesn't show this. Stock 1/2" thick will be difficult to form. I would guess it would need to be pressed into a form mold.

Painting...not sure. I suppose you could find a suitable primer, then paint over it.

Plixglass forming

tygerdawg said:
Yes, "polycarbonate" == "Plexiglas". Are you actually thinking about and referring to "acrylic" material?

You never said anything about 1/2" thick material, your sketch doesn't show this. Stock 1/2" thick will be difficult to form. I would guess it would need to be pressed into a form mold.

Painting...not sure. I suppose you could find a suitable primer, then paint over it.
Sorry typo??/ Late entree 1/4" material looking for something with a tint and I keep thinking about distortion after the first bend and the let off (cooling off reflex's) what's the second bend going to do the first when attempting to reheat for the second bend, dose this stuff (material)want to replicate its original shape on temperature cooling ??/ I'm starting to think the the exact shape is going to have to be a negative mold with a Vacuum in vacuum process at temperature variance and then what's the release shape (re-lacks at ambient Temperature) going to look like at what rate of cooling ??/ is it going to have to be rapidly cooled ??/ Its starting to sound to expensive to litigate the cost??/ and still have several attempts before perfection ??/

Last edited:

What is plexiglass and how is it different from traditional glass?

Plexiglass, also known as acrylic glass, is a lightweight and shatter-resistant plastic material. It is a type of thermoplastic, meaning it can be melted and reshaped, making it easier to form into different shapes compared to traditional glass. Additionally, plexiglass is more durable and has better UV resistance than traditional glass.

What are the methods used for forming and shaping plexiglass?

The most common methods of forming and shaping plexiglass include thermoforming, which involves heating the material and then molding it into shape, and injection molding, which uses a mold and high-pressure injection to shape the material. Other methods include vacuum forming, blow molding, and CNC machining.

What are the benefits of using plexiglass in manufacturing and construction?

Plexiglass has many benefits, which make it a popular choice in manufacturing and construction. It is lightweight, transparent, and shatter-resistant, making it a safer alternative to traditional glass. It is also more cost-effective, as it can be easily molded into complex shapes, reducing the need for labor-intensive processes. Additionally, plexiglass has better weather resistance and is more durable, making it suitable for outdoor use.

What are the common applications of plexiglass?

Plexiglass is used in a wide range of applications, including windows, skylights, signage, protective barriers, and even as a substitute for traditional glass in aquariums. It is also commonly used in the automotive, aerospace, and medical industries due to its lightweight and shatter-resistant properties. Additionally, plexiglass is used in furniture, display cases, and various household items.

What are the safety precautions to take when working with plexiglass?

When working with plexiglass, it is important to wear protective gear such as goggles, gloves, and a dust mask to avoid inhaling any dust particles. The material should be cut and shaped in a well-ventilated area to prevent the buildup of fumes. It is also essential to handle plexiglass carefully, as it can be easily scratched or cracked if not handled properly.