Plot a Complex Function in maple

In summary, plotting a complex function like e^ix can be achieved by plotting the real vs. imaginary components on a complex plane or Argand plane. This can be done by using the real axis as cos(x) and imaginary axis as sin(x), resulting in a circle with a unit radius. Some programs may not explicitly mention a complex plane, but this method can still be used to visualize the graph.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How do I plot a Complex Function like...

e^ix?

I tried things like...

complexplot(x,y);

...but that gets me knowhere.

I searched on the program, but it never mentions anything about a Complex Plane of Argand Plane.

I would really like to see this graph, which probably looks like a trig function anyways.

Physics news on Phys.org
try plotting the real vs the imaginary components...it should be a circle

How would you do that?

That's what I am trying to do. How would I plot real vs. imaginary components? That is what a complex plane is, and I looked for it.

Sorry, I'm kind of new at the program.

plot the real axis as cos(x) and the imaginary axis as sin(x)...should look like a circle of unit radius.

Like this?

plot(cosx,sinx);

1. How do I plot a complex function in Maple?

To plot a complex function in Maple, you can use the "complexplot" command. This command takes in the function as well as the range of values for the real and imaginary parts. For example, to plot the function f(z) = z^2, you can use the command complexplot(z^2, -5..5, -5..5).

2. How do I specify the color and style of the plot in Maple?

You can specify the color and style of the plot by adding additional parameters to the complexplot command. For example, to plot the function f(z) = z^2 in red with a dashed line, you can use the command complexplot(z^2, -5..5, -5..5, color = red, style = dotted).

3. Can I plot multiple complex functions on the same graph in Maple?

Yes, you can plot multiple complex functions on the same graph in Maple. Simply use the complexplot command for each function, and add the "legend" parameter to label each function on the graph. For example, complexplot({z^2, z^3}, -5..5, -5..5, legend = ["f(z) = z^2", "g(z) = z^3"]).

4. How do I adjust the resolution of the plot in Maple?

You can adjust the resolution of the plot by adding the "numpoints" parameter to the complexplot command. This parameter specifies the number of points to be plotted on each axis. For example, complexplot(z^2, -5..5, -5..5, numpoints = 100) will plot 100 points on each axis, resulting in a higher resolution plot.

5. Is there a way to label the axes and add a title to the plot in Maple?

Yes, you can label the axes and add a title to the plot by using the "title" and "axes" parameters in the complexplot command. For example, complexplot(z^2, -5..5, -5..5, title = "Complex Function Plot", axes = "boxed") will add a title to the graph and label the axes with a box around them.