How do you visualize the complex function (1+i)i and its multivalued nature?

In summary, the function (1+i)^i can be written as f(z)=z^i, where z=1+i. Drawing a vertical line above this point in the complex plane will show the multiple values of arg(1+i). This is due to the function e^{-\arg(z)}, which represents the real part of f(z). However, plotting this function is difficult, so it is easier to just plot \arg(z).
magnifik
How do you plot (1+i)i, where i is the imaginary number. I decomposed it to eilog√2e-∏/4e2∏n (n = 0, +1, +2, ...) Should it be some kind of lattice? I would imagine it's discontinuous due to the n

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Put it back into a + bi form.

No, it's not discontinuous. The n is only used to distinguish single-valued branching. It's still one single multi-function in the complex plane with an infinitely twisted sheet. Write it as:

[tex]f(z)=z^i[/tex]

Now, let z=1+i and draw a vertical line above that point in the complex plane. Where ever this line hits the sheets, that's the (infinite) values of (1+i)^i.

jackmell said:
No, it's not discontinuous. The n is only used to distinguish single-valued branching. It's still one single multi-function in the complex plane with an infinitely twisted sheet. Write it as:

[tex]f(z)=z^i[/tex]

Now, let z=1+i and draw a vertical line above that point in the complex plane. Where ever this line hits the sheets, that's the (infinite) values of (1+i)^i.

what do you mean by "the sheets"? how do i know where those are located

For n=0, this is approximately 0.428829 + 0.154872 i

magnifik said:
what do you mean by "the sheets"? how do i know where those are located

I skipped a lot. You can write:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\begin{align*}
z^i&=e^{i\log(z)}=e^{i(\ln|z|+i\arg(z))}\\
&=e^{-\arg(z)+i\ln|z|}
\end{align*}
\label{eq:}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
It's the [itex]\arg(z)[/itex] function that's multivalued and that function causes the plot to twist over itself. It's easy to draw [itex]\arg(z)[/itex]. It's just the function [itex]f(r,\theta)=\theta[/itex] and the Mathematica code is simply:

Code:
ParametricPlot3D[{Re[z], Im[z], t} /. z -> r Exp[I t], {r, 0, 
  2}, {t, -4 \[Pi], 4 \[Pi]}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 2}, 
 PlotPoints -> {35, 35}]

So the expression [itex]e^{-\arg(z)}[/itex] represents the real part of the function [itex]f(z)=z^i[/itex]. However, it's difficult to draw that function because it's exponential. But it's qualitatively the same as just [itex]\arg(z)[/itex]. So I'll just plot (x,y,arg(x+iy)) below: Now draw that function in the complex plane, then draw a vertical line over the point z=1+i and where ever the line intersects the plot is the multiple values of arg(1+i) and that would be conceptually the same as doing that for [itex]e^{-\arg(z)}[/itex]. Here's the complete code to show that:

Code:
myline = Graphics3D[{Thickness[0.008], Red, 
    Line[{{1, 1, -20}, {1, 1, 20}}]}];
mypoints = 
  Graphics3D[{PointSize[0.05], Blue, 
    Point @@ {{1, 1, #}} & /@ {\[Pi]/4, 9 \[Pi]/4, 
      17 \[Pi]/4, -7 \[Pi]/4}}];

Show[{ParametricPlot3D[{Re[z], Im[z], t} /. z -> r Exp[I t], {r, 0, 
    2}, {t, -4 \[Pi], 4 \[Pi]}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 2}, 
   PlotPoints -> {35, 35}], myline, mypoints}, 
 PlotRange -> {{-2, 2}, {-2, 2}, {-10, 10}}]

Attachments

• my arg function.jpg
    my arg function.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers. It can be written in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z is a complex number, u(x,y) and v(x,y) are real-valued functions of the variables x and y, and i is the imaginary unit.

What is the difference between a complex function and a real function?

A complex function takes complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers, while a real function takes real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers. Complex functions can have more complex and interesting behavior than real functions, as they involve both real and imaginary components.

What is the geometric interpretation of a complex function?

A complex function can be thought of as a transformation of the complex plane. The real and imaginary parts of the function can be visualized as transformations of the x and y axes, respectively. The graph of a complex function can also be represented in three dimensions, with the real and imaginary components forming the x and y axes, and the output of the function forming the z axis.

How are complex functions used in science and engineering?

Complex functions are used in a variety of applications in science and engineering, such as in electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also commonly used in signal processing and control systems. Complex functions allow for more accurate and efficient calculations in these fields.

What are some common techniques for plotting complex functions?

There are several techniques for plotting complex functions, including using a computer program to graph the function, creating a contour plot by plotting the real and imaginary components separately, and using color to represent the magnitude and phase of the function. Another technique is to plot the function as a vector field, where the vectors represent the direction and magnitude of the function at each point in the complex plane.