Plotting Complex Region: y > 0

In summary, to plot the region defined by |(z + i)/(z - i)| > 1, rearrange the inequality to obtain |z + i| > |z - i| and solve for the corresponding conditions for x and y. This results in the region being defined by the conditions [-x < y < x] or [x < y < -x].
Mechdude

Homework Statement

i was supposed to figure out what this region looks like ad to plot it
[tex] \left| \frac{z + i}{z - i} \right| > 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

[itex] z = x + iy [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried a couple of rearrangements but i got nowhere:
[tex] \left|z+i \right| > \left| z - i \right| [/tex]
getting:
[tex] \sqrt{ x^2 + (y+1)^2 } > \sqrt{ x^2 + (y-1)^2 } [/tex]

which ends up [tex] 4y > 0 [/tex]
is this it? simply y>0?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think, I am not sure, but try something like this

|a| > |b|

=> a > |b| or a < -|b|

=> -a < b < a or a < b < -a

=> (b > -a and b < a ) or (b > a and b < -a)

and plot

Last edited:

1. What does "y > 0" mean in complex region plotting?

When plotting a complex region, the expression "y > 0" means that the region includes all points on the complex plane where the imaginary part (y-axis) is greater than 0. This creates a half-plane above the x-axis.

2. How do I plot a complex region with "y > 0" as the condition?

To plot a complex region with the condition "y > 0", you will need to graph the imaginary part of the complex number on the y-axis and the real part on the x-axis. Then, shade in the half-plane above the x-axis to represent all points where y is greater than 0.

3. Can a complex number have a negative imaginary part?

Yes, a complex number can have a negative imaginary part. This means that the number is located on the bottom half of the complex plane, below the x-axis. In this case, the condition "y > 0" would not include this number in the plotted region.

4. What are some real-life applications of plotting complex regions?

Complex region plotting has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, complex regions can represent the solutions to equations involving electric fields or wave functions. In engineering, they can be used to model and analyze complex systems. In economics, complex regions can represent the feasible region of a production or consumption problem.

5. Is there a difference between plotting a complex region and graphing a complex function?

Yes, there is a difference between plotting a complex region and graphing a complex function. Plotting a complex region involves shading in a specific area on the complex plane based on a given condition, while graphing a complex function involves plotting the output values of a complex function on the complex plane. However, both methods use the same coordinate system and are important tools in understanding complex numbers and their properties.