Optimizing Plot Increments in MatLab for Direct Comparison - Tips and Tricks

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter babistopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab Plots
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to set the plot increments on a graph to a set value, with the physical distance between each point being the same on all plots. However, this may not be possible and it is suggested to let the software handle the axis and computations.
babistopher
I am simply trying to find a way to set the plot increments to a set value. So I want the increments to be increasing by 10's (10, 20, 30, etc) and I want the physical distance between them to be the same on all plots (I do not really care what distance they are but they just all have to be the same). In case the latter didn't make sense, I simply want to be able to directly compare different plots and I do not want the scales to vary. So if one plot has, say, 1.5 cm between each axis point, then I want them to all have that. I hope that was clear! Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Setting the plot increment is actually setting the independent variable. Assign values to your independent variable such that they are 10 apart. If ##x## is your independent variable,
Matlab:
x = 0:10:50;
That should do your work.
babistopher said:
I want the physical distance between them to be the same on all plo
People using Math Software generally never do any calculations by measuring a printed graph. Having said that, I believe it's not possible to do what you want. And why would you want to do that? Let Matlab set the axis, and do your computations over there itself. Don't do it by hand, it's not preferable. Graphs can easily be resized after taking a screenshot, and physical distances will vary.

1. What is the purpose of optimizing plot increments in MatLab?

The purpose of optimizing plot increments in MatLab is to ensure that the plots are visually appealing and accurately represent the data being plotted. By adjusting the increments, you can control the scale and resolution of the plot, making it easier to compare different data sets.

2. How do I adjust the plot increments in MatLab?

To adjust the plot increments in MatLab, you can use the "xticks" and "yticks" functions. These allow you to specify the values at which tick marks and labels should be displayed on the x and y axes, respectively. You can also use the "xlim" and "ylim" functions to set the overall range of the plot.

3. What is the recommended method for optimizing plot increments for direct comparison?

The recommended method for optimizing plot increments for direct comparison is to use a consistent scale and range for all plots being compared. This ensures that the data is displayed in a uniform manner, making it easier to compare and interpret the results.

4. Can I adjust plot increments for specific regions of the plot?

Yes, you can adjust plot increments for specific regions of the plot by using the "xticks" and "yticks" functions with a range of values. This allows you to have more control over the scale and resolution of specific sections of the plot, while maintaining a consistent overall scale.

5. Are there any other tips or tricks for optimizing plot increments in MatLab?

Some other tips and tricks for optimizing plot increments in MatLab include using logarithmic scales for large data ranges, adjusting the tick label font size and rotation for better readability, and using grid lines to aid in visual comparison. Additionally, you can explore the various options and settings in the "plot" function to customize the plot increments to your preferences.