Exploring the Locus of Points in an Argand Diagram

In summary, the student attempted to find the locus of points which satisfy the equation 2π*|z − 1| = Arg(z − 1), where |z − 1| ≤ 2. They found that shifting the origin to (0,0) solves the equation, and that the locus is a spiral beginning at (0,0).
Gone

Homework Statement

Find the locus of points which satisfy

2π*|z −1| = Arg(z − 1) where |z −1| ≤ 2.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that |z-1| ≤ 2 is the 'inside' bits of a circle center (1,0) with a radius 2

After that I get confused surely with |z-1|≤2 then Arg(z-1) has to be between 0 and 4π... but then that's all space?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Gone said:

Homework Statement

Find the locus of points which satisfy

2π*|z −1| = Arg(z − 1) where |z −1| ≤ 2.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that |z-1| ≤ 2 is the 'inside' bits of a circle center (1,0) with a radius 2

After that I get confused surely with |z-1|≤2 then Arg(z-1) has to be between 0 and 4π... but then that's all space?

Thanks in advance

Since everything is with reference to ##1+0i##, it would be good idea to shift the origin here. Shifting the origin, your equations transform to:
$$2\pi |z|=\arg(z)$$
$$|z|\leq 2$$
Use the substitution ##z=re^{i\theta}## in the first equation, do you see where that leads to?

Pranav-Arora said:
Since everything is with reference to ##1+0i##, it would be good idea to shift the origin here. Shifting the origin, your equations transform to:
$$2\pi |z|=\arg(z)$$
$$|z|\leq 2$$
Use the substitution ##z=re^{i\theta}## in the first equation, do you see where that leads to?

So that means that ##2\pi r=\theta## which is a spiral beginning at (0,0) so to get the answer is it just
$$2\pi (r-1)=\theta$$
Thanks!

Gone said:
So that means that ##2\pi r=\theta## which is a spiral beginning at (0,0)
Yes.
so to get the answer is it just
$$2\pi (r-1)=\theta$$
Well, no. I don't think that transformation is correct. Once you plot the graph, you need to move everything by 1 unit towards right.

Look at the plots of ##2\pi r=\theta## and ##2\pi (r-1)=\theta##.

Ah ok got you now :) thank you!

1. What is an Argand Diagram?

An Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers in the form of a two-dimensional coordinate plane. It was developed by Jean-Robert Argand in 1806 and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you plot a complex number in an Argand Diagram?

To plot a complex number in an Argand Diagram, you need to represent the real part of the number on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The point where these two values intersect is the location of the complex number on the diagram.

3. What is the significance of the modulus and argument in an Argand Diagram?

The modulus represents the distance of the complex number from the origin, while the argument represents the angle that the line connecting the complex number and the origin makes with the positive real axis. These values provide important information about the complex number and its properties.

4. How do you add or subtract complex numbers on an Argand Diagram?

To add or subtract complex numbers on an Argand Diagram, you simply add or subtract their real and imaginary parts separately. This can be visualized on the diagram by moving the point representing the second complex number to its new location based on the operation performed.

5. Can an Argand Diagram be used to visualize other mathematical operations?

Yes, an Argand Diagram can also be used to visualize other mathematical operations such as multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations can be represented on the diagram by using geometric constructions and transformations.