Plotting Inequalities with Mathematica

In summary, the person is asking for help in using Mathematica to graph a region where both an equation and an inequality constraint are satisfied. They have tried using the Reduce function but are looking for a more general method to restrict the domain of plots. They are also seeking advice on where to ask for help with this type of question.
Taniya Ghosh
I have an equation and some inequality constraints, for example,

f(x,y)=0 and g(x,y)>0

I want to see the region (values of x and y) in a graph where both the constraints are satisfied in Mathematica. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does
Reduce[g[x,y]>0,{x,y}]
give you enough domain information about x that you would then be able to use that in
ContourPlot[f[x,y]==0,{x,somevalue,someothervalue}]

I have searched and not found a more general method of restricting the domain of plots.

Questions like this might be better placed in
Physics Forums->Other Sciences->Computing & Technology->Math & Science Software

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific computations, data analysis, and visualization. It includes a programming language that allows users to write code and create interactive documents.

How do I plot inequalities in Mathematica?

To plot inequalities in Mathematica, you can use the RegionPlot function. This function takes the inequality as an argument and plots the corresponding region on a graph.

Can I plot multiple inequalities at once?

Yes, you can plot multiple inequalities at once by using the RegionPlot function with a list of inequalities as the argument. This will create a graph with different regions representing each inequality.

Can I customize the appearance of the plot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the plot by using various options in the RegionPlot function, such as changing the colors, adding labels and legends, and adjusting the size and style of the graph.

Can Mathematica solve inequalities?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in functions that can solve and manipulate inequalities, such as Solve and Reduce. These functions can help you find the solution set or prove the validity of an inequality.