Plotting a rotating ellipse trajectory (the Moon orbiting the Earth in 2D)

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of drawing the trajectory of the Moon around the Earth in 2D, taking into account the fact that the trajectory undergoes precession. The speaker approached this by first parametrizing the elliptical orbit and then adding time-dependent rotations by multiplying the vector with a rotation matrix. However, when the speaker plotted the result, the ellipse did not rotate as expected. They received help from another person and realized that the eccentricity of the orbit was too low to notice the rotation.
kiloNewton
Homework Statement
Plot the trajectory of the Moon around the Earth.
Relevant Equations
<x',y'> = R <x,y>
I'm tasked with drawing the trajectory of the Moon around the Earth (in 2D), taking into account the fact that the trajectory also undergoes precession, so the elliptical orbit rotates about it's center (I think it should rotate around the Earth-Moon barycenter, but for the first step I neglected this).

So I approached this by first parametrising the elliptical orbit:

$$ \vec{r}(t) = <a cos(\omega t), b sin(\omega t) >,$$ where ## a ## is the semi major axis, ## b ## the semi minor axis and ## \omega ## the average angular velocity of the Moon around the Earth. Due to the extremely low eccentricity of this orbit I just used the average angular velocity as an approximation instead of worrying about its time dependance.

To add time dependant rotations, I multiplied this vector by the rotation matrix:

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
cos(\Omega t) & sin(\Omega t) \\
-sin(\Omega t) & cos(\Omega t)
\end{bmatrix}
, $$

where ## \Omega = 2 \pi / 8.85 ## years is how fast the orbit precesses. The end result is:

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
x' \\
y'
\end{bmatrix}

=

\begin{bmatrix}
acos(\omega t)cos(\Omega t) + bsin(\omega t)sin(\Omega t) \\
-acos(\omega t)sin(\Omega t) + bsin(\omega t)cos(\Omega t)
\end{bmatrix}
$$

However, when I plot this the ellipse doesn't rotate at all. I tried changing the periods of the rotations to see the rotations come into play sooner - didn't help. I think my code is right so I'm skeptical about the physical aspect. Is my coordinate system somehow rotating with the ellipse and I therefore don't see the rotations?
I'm baffled by how this doesn't seem to work so I must be missing something basic and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've done it right. I coded it up and the orbit rotates. See the attached plots. I made the eccentricity large enough so I could see it. if you didn't do that, maybe you just can't see it rotating?
Orbits.png

Likes berkeman
Oh wow you are completely right. The eccentricity is way too low to actually notice it rotating... Thanks a bunch for the help, turns out I'm just a dumdum.

Likes berkeman

1. How is the Moon's trajectory around the Earth plotted in 2D?

The Moon's trajectory around the Earth in 2D can be plotted using an ellipse, with the Earth at one of the foci. This is known as Kepler's first law of planetary motion.

2. What factors affect the shape of the Moon's orbit around the Earth?

The shape of the Moon's orbit around the Earth is primarily affected by the gravitational pull of the Earth and the Moon's own velocity. Other factors such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies and the Earth's rotation can also have minor effects.

3. How long does it take for the Moon to complete one orbit around the Earth?

The Moon takes approximately 27.3 days to complete one orbit around the Earth. This is known as its sidereal period.

4. Can the Moon's orbit around the Earth change over time?

Yes, the Moon's orbit around the Earth can change over time due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies and the Earth's changing shape and rotation. However, these changes are very small and happen over long periods of time.

5. How is the Moon's orbit around the Earth related to tides?

The Moon's orbit around the Earth is closely related to tides on Earth. The Moon's gravitational pull causes the oceans on Earth to bulge towards the Moon, creating high tides. As the Moon orbits around the Earth, the location of these bulges change, causing the tides to change as well.