Plotting Force vs Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting F=ma on a graph and whether the line would be in both quadrant one and three, as well as the shape and position of the line. It is concluded that the line will be in both quadrants and that there may be variations depending on the experimental setup.
Physicsguru21
Thread moved from the technical forums to HH, so no HH Template is shown
If plotting F=ma on a graph with F as one axis and a as the other, would the line be in both quadrant one and three since the force vector, and subsequent acceleration vector, could be negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Certainly. It will all depend on whether you can exert forces in both directions in your particular experimental set up, but if you can, the line will be in both quadrants.

Thanks. Thats what I thought. I guess it is just not very common since it is essentially redundant to plot the data in both quadrants.

Ok, I have an extension of this question. If my resultant force vector is F=-3i+4j, how would I plot that on the F vs a graph?

In your original question, you changed the force to have several values, and for each value, you calculated, or measured the acceleration. Then you plotted the force vs. acceleration. Now you are giving me only one value for the force. Why do you think that will generate a graph?

It is a poorly worded problem. The actual problem says that I am given the resultant force on a body and am asked to plot that force vs acceleration. Then I am asked what shape is plotted, if the shape that is created passes through the origin, and what quadrant(s) it is in? Since I wasnt given an actual value for force, I originally varied the force value and plotted F=ma. However, I now don't see how that is not correct. The force can only be on point on the X axis and the resuting line if you vary mass will be vertical. Since no value for force is given, there is no way of knowing where that point will be.

In any case, whatever the force may be, you can only plot force vs. acceleration on a single graph if it is a problem in one dimension. If it is in one dimension, and you plot the force vs acceleration, it is always a straight line passing through the origin, and lying in the 1st and 3rd quadrants. If it is a problem in two dimensions, you need two graphs. Fx vs. ax and Fy vs ay. Both will be identical straight lines through the origin, with the same slope.

1. What is the purpose of plotting force vs acceleration?

Plotting force vs acceleration allows us to visualize the relationship between these two variables and determine if they are directly or inversely proportional. This can help us understand the motion of an object and the forces acting upon it.

2. How do you plot force vs acceleration on a graph?

To plot force vs acceleration on a graph, we first need to collect data by measuring the force and acceleration of an object at different points. We then plot the force on the y-axis and the acceleration on the x-axis. The resulting graph can show a linear, quadratic, or exponential relationship between the two variables.

3. What can we learn from a force vs acceleration graph?

A force vs acceleration graph can tell us about the motion of an object and the forces acting upon it. It can also help us determine the mass of an object, as the slope of the graph is equal to the mass. Additionally, we can use the graph to predict the acceleration of an object given a certain force, or vice versa.

4. How does a change in mass affect the force vs acceleration graph?

A change in mass will affect the slope of the force vs acceleration graph. As mass increases, the slope will become steeper, indicating a greater force is needed to produce the same acceleration. Additionally, a change in mass can also shift the entire graph up or down, depending on the direction of the change.

5. What are some real-life applications of plotting force vs acceleration?

Plotting force vs acceleration is commonly used in physics experiments and engineering projects to analyze the motion of objects and the forces acting upon them. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as designing safer vehicles or creating more efficient roller coasters.