Plotting graph 3D minimization

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with plotting a 3D graph in MATLAB using the function y=fminbnd(@(x) wei(x,shape,scale,tw,tf),x0,x1). They clarify that y is a function of a single variable, x, and they want to plot y, shape, and scale in the same graph. They mention that wei is a function they have created with one output and that tw and tf are known parameters. The speaker also asks for clarification on the use of fminbnd() and the function wei().
ericdavid
Hi to everyone,

I'm trying to plot a 3D graph on MATLAB but I do not know how.
The function that I want to plot is: y=fminbnd(@(x) wei(x,shape,scale,tw,tf),x0,x1).
I would like to plot the minimization of the function wei (y) in function of the shape and the scale.
Wei is a function that I have created and only has one output.
Tw and tf are known parameters, and x0, x1 the range where I want to optimize the function, as well known.

To sum up, I want to plot y, shape and scale in the same graph.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this a 3D graph? You have y as a function of a single variable, x. That makes it a 1-D relationship which can be plotted with a regular function like plot(). Now, I've never used fminbnd() nor wei(). When you run this, is y a 3D array, with 3 indexes instead of only 1? What does

whos y

report to the command window? Is y a 1-D vector, or a 3-D array?

1. What is the purpose of plotting a 3D graph for minimization?

The purpose of plotting a 3D graph for minimization is to visually represent the relationship between multiple variables and the objective function. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the function and can help identify the optimal values for the variables.

2. How do you choose the variables to plot on the 3D graph?

The variables chosen to plot on the 3D graph should be the independent variables that have the most significant impact on the objective function. These variables should also have a wide range of values to accurately represent the behavior of the function.

3. Can a 3D graph be used for any type of minimization problem?

Yes, a 3D graph can be used for any type of minimization problem as long as there are multiple independent variables and an objective function that can be plotted in 3D space.

4. What are some advantages of using a 3D graph for minimization?

Some advantages of using a 3D graph for minimization include being able to visually identify the behavior of the objective function, understanding the relationship between multiple variables, and easily identifying the optimal values for the variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 3D graph for minimization?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a 3D graph for minimization. These include difficulty in visualizing higher dimensions, the potential for misleading interpretations, and the time-consuming process of plotting and analyzing the 3D graph.