How to Plot Heaviside Function with x^2-1?

• Thread starter radiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plotting
In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot the heaviside (unit step) with the expression H(x^2-1). It is clarified that the solution is 1 for x ≥ 1 or x ≤ -1, and 0 for x < 1 and x > -1. The solution is found by solving for x in the inequality x^2-1 ≥ 0, which results in the intervals (-∞, -1] U [1, ∞). The technique of solving inequalities, particularly quadratic inequalities, is recommended for further understanding.
radiator
Hello,

I am not where this question goes, its not part of a homework either!
I am trying to figure out how to plot the heaviside (unit step) with such an expression
H(x^2-1)
so I do this:H(x^2-1) = 1 for x^2-1>0 -> x>+- 1
and H(x^2-1) = 0 for x^2-1<-0 -> x<-+1

But this tells me only that it equals 1 when it is x>1 because the rest would be zero! any clarification would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
radiator said:
Hello,

I am not where this question goes, its not part of a homework either!
I am trying to figure out how to plot the heaviside (unit step) with such an expression
H(x^2-1)
so I do this:H(x^2-1) = 1 for x^2-1>0 -> x>+- 1
and H(x^2-1) = 0 for x^2-1<-0 -> x<-+1

But this tells me only that it equals 1 when it is x>1 because the rest would be zero! any clarification would be appreciated

If [itex]x^2 - 1 > 0[/itex] then either [itex]x < -1[/itex] or [itex]x > 1[/itex].

Likes 1 person
so for x^2-1>0 I have
H(x^2-1) = 1 for x>1 and x>-1 ( so its equal to 1 from -1 to infinity)
and
H(x^2-1) = 0 for x<1 and x<-1 ( so its equal to 0 from 1 to negative infinity)

so why would I choose only : equals 1 for x>1 and x<-1, what about the other conditions?

radiator said:
so for x^2-1>0 I have
H(x^2-1) = 1 for x>1 and x>-1 ( so its equal to 1 from -1 to infinity)
and
H(x^2-1) = 0 for x<1 and x<-1 ( so its equal to 0 from 1 to negative infinity)

so why would I choose only : equals 1 for x>1 and x<-1, what about the other conditions?

Let's back up a bit, since you're confused about the solution to x2 - 1 > 0.
x2 - 1 ≥ 0 ==> x ≥ 1 or x ≤ -1.
So H(x2 - 1) = 1 for x ≥ 1 or x ≤ -1.

Thanks Mark,
I think I am missing a basic principle here about the ≥ relations

if I have a [tex] x^2 - 1 \geq 0 [/tex] then solving for x is
[tex] x^2 - 1 = 0 \rightarrow x = \pm 1 [/tex]
so in the case of positive one
[tex] x\geq 1 [/tex] and for negative one it changes to
[tex] x \leq -1 [/tex] and the positive it remains the same, is that a property of the relation?
also why do we choose ≥ instead of just >

radiator said:
Thanks Mark,
I think I am missing a basic principle here about the ≥ relations
Yes, I think so as well.
radiator said:
if I have a [tex] x^2 - 1 \geq 0 [/tex] then solving for x is
[tex] x^2 - 1 = 0 \rightarrow x = \pm 1 [/tex]
There's a big difference between solving an equation (as above) and solving an inequality.
What you've written below doesn't make any sense to me.
radiator said:
so in the case of positive one
[tex] x\geq 1 [/tex] and for negative one it changes to
[tex] x \leq -1 [/tex] and the positive it remains the same, is that a property of the relation?
also why do we choose ≥ instead of just >
Because H(x) = 1 if x ≥ 0 and H(x) = 0 for x < 0. That's why.

For your function, H(x2 - 1) = 1 for x2 - 1 ≥ 0, so we need to find the intervals for which x2 - 1 ≥ 0.

The part on the left side of the inequality equals 0 for x = -1 or x = 1. These two numbers divide the number line into three intervals: (-∞, -1), (-1, 1), and (1, ∞). By taking any number in each interval you can verify that the solution to x2 - 1 ≥ 0 is (-∞, -1] U [1, ∞). This is the same as saying x ≤ -1 or x ≥ 1.

It would be helpful for you to review the technique of solving inequalities, especially quadratic inequalities.

Likes 1 person
Thanks so much Mark, this clarified it

1. What is the purpose of plotting heaviside(x^2-1)?

The purpose of plotting heaviside(x^2-1) is to visualize the Heaviside step function, which is a mathematical function that represents a step-like change in a system. In this case, the function is being plotted for values of x^2-1, where the output will either be 0 or 1 depending on the value of x.

2. How is the Heaviside step function defined?

The Heaviside step function, also known as the unit step function, is defined as:

H(x) = { 0, if x < 0; 1, if x ≥ 0 }

This means that for any value of x, the function will output 0 if x is less than 0, and 1 if x is greater than or equal to 0.

3. What is the significance of x^2-1 in this function?

The expression x^2-1 is the argument of the Heaviside function, meaning that it is the independent variable that is being evaluated. The function will output either 0 or 1 for different values of x^2-1, and this can be used to represent changes in a system or to define boundaries between different regions.

4. How is heaviside(x^2-1) plotted?

The function heaviside(x^2-1) can be plotted by first creating a graph with x as the horizontal axis and y as the vertical axis. Then, for each value of x, the function will output either 0 or 1, which can be plotted as points on the graph. Connecting these points will result in a step-like graph, as the function only changes abruptly at certain values of x^2-1.

5. What are some applications of plotting heaviside(x^2-1)?

Plotting heaviside(x^2-1) can have various applications in different fields of science and engineering. For example, it can be used in control systems to represent the switching on and off of a system, in signal processing to define boundaries between different frequency bands, and in physics to represent changes in energy levels of particles. It can also be used to model and analyze systems with abrupt changes or discontinuities.