1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting IV curve of Si numerically

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    Hi all

Before i start, i should say that i have been working in the field of quantam mechanics for just 6 months now. I have a problem where i have to draw numerically the IV curve of Si in MATLAB under forward bias condition. I have the electric field and potential calculated the following way, respectively -

Efield(jj) = q*dx*( -1*sum(drho(1:jj)) + sum(drho(jj:end)) )/(2*KS*8.85e-12);
    U(jj) = U(jj-1)-Efield(jj)*dx;

where the drho is the total charge(n+p+nuclear charge). and U is the electrostatic potential.
    So far this equations were used for the equilibrium conditions from which current (J) is calculated in the form of derivative of electron/hole density with respect to time (dn/dt or dp/dt); (J = sum(dn/dt)*dx). To plot the IV curves now i have to use the forward bias values (VA) so the potential on the n-side will change. But i couldnt figure out how i can introduce that into my MATLAB script. How can i relate the applied voltage with the resultant current (dn/dt or J)? Can anyone please give me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted