1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting Multiple 2D graphs in mathematica

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have multiple 1D data sets, lets call them data1, data2, data3, etc. Each data set has the same number of entries. Each one is either a row or a column (I can just use Transpose[...], so same] and when I use the ListPlot[] function, I get a graph where the vertical axis is the value in the data set and the horizontal axis is the numerical position.

i.e. if data 1 = {5 26 17 9...}, the graph would have points at (1,5), (2,26), (3,17), ...

What I want to do is plot data1, data2, etc on a 3d plot to see how the data evolves. By introducing another horizontal axis, I could plot data 1 on the y=1 plane (with the x axis being the order and the z axis being the intensity) and data2 on the y=2 plane, etc.

2. Relevant equations
    When I try ListPlot3D[{data1,data2,data3...}], I end up plotting all the data points on the same y axis. I want to data1 on the y=1 plane, data2 on the y=2 plane, etc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried just rewriting the entire data set as such:

data1_3D= Table[{i,1,data1[]},{i,1,Length[data1]}] *I didn't actually put an underscore. just so you could see my numbering system here.
    data2_3D= Table[{i,1,data2[]},{i,1,Length[data2]}]

and just plotting these, but this didnt work.

Additionally, I'd love to use the interpolation function to connect the dots along the y-axis and x axis. There is no ListLinePlot3D function that I know of. I think {Mesh -> All} might work, although I'm trying to get this data set plotted first.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted