Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting normal modes in Matlab from data in Patran

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    Hi,

Could You help me with problem mentioned in the topic? I copied translational data (3 column vectors) from modal analysis in Patran (from f06 file). Now I have problem in reproducing the results in Matlab. I am trying to draw normal modes in Matlab, but I haven't got much luck so far.

I would appreciate if you could help me and/or give me some ideas concerning this problem.

All best regards,
    Yan

Edit:
    As far I accomplished something like that
    6qv5s8.png

I created mesh in Matlab with the same xy dimensions as the analyzed object in Abaqus and copied amplitudes vector , then reshaped it to size compatible with mesh. But the results... don't look good

Edit2:
    Another update. Link to data I used http://pastebin.com/mLCHKn6R [Broken] (second column - don't know what to do with rest).
    Code I used in Matlab:
    (s is data imported from aforementioned .txt file)

z=s(:,2);zz=reshape(z,11,13);
    x= 0:10:120;y=0:10:100;[X,Y]=meshgrid(x,y);
    y1=(0:1:100);x1=(0:1:120);
    y1=y1';
    zz2=interp2(X,Y,zz,x1,y1,'cubic');
    [xx1,yy1]=meshgrid(x1,y1);
    surf(xx1,yy1,zz2)

Result obtained after cubic interpolation: 18908244-holder-477a2ab437815134c021346d22ad9d5c.jpg

Although the plot looks way better than before, the shape is complety different.
    Could You help me find out what I am doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted