Plotting Phase Graphs/Diagrams of PDE's in Maple

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a phase diagram to represent an oscillating system, the process of solving a simple PDE using substitution and "dsolve," and the difficulty of plotting velocity vs displacement vs time in a 3D version. The speaker also mentions trying to use "plot3d" but facing difficulties, and clarifies that the equation is actually an ODE, not a PDE.
Woland
Hi everyone,

I believe the term I am looking for is phase diagram. For a oscillating system it is a graph where displacement is on the x-axis and velocity is on the y-axis. My first question is what is the proper name for this type of graph?

I had the following simple PDE: ay" + by' + cy = 0, just a run of the mill damped harmonic motion. To solve I split this up into two 1st order differential equations by the substitution v = y'. Then I basically used "dsolve" to find the y and v solutions. I then successfully plotted them against each other on my phase diagram to get the circular motion dying down towards zero.

Now my real problem starts. I want to plot velocity vs displacement VS time. So I will basically have a 3D version of what is happening. What this should look like is a spiral or spring, which gets more and more narrow as we progress in the z-axis, until it dies down and is just a vertical line along the z-axis. I was trying to use "plot3d" but could not get it to work.

Does anyone know how I can plot this in Maple? Please let me know if you need further clarification. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
try implicitplot3d =]

For the record its an ODE not a PDE

Hi there,

I can provide some guidance on how to plot phase diagrams of PDE's using Maple. Firstly, the proper term for the type of graph you are describing is a phase portrait. This is a graphical representation of the behavior of a system over time, showing how different variables (such as displacement and velocity) change in relation to each other.

To plot a phase portrait in Maple, you can use the "phaseportrait" command. This allows you to specify the differential equations and initial conditions for your system, and it will automatically generate a phase portrait for you. You can then customize the plot using various options, such as changing the color scheme or adding labels.

For your specific problem of wanting to plot velocity vs displacement vs time, you can use the "plot3d" command. This allows you to plot a function of three variables in a three-dimensional space. You can specify your velocity and displacement functions as functions of time, and then plot them together in a 3D plot. You can also use the "animate" command to animate the plot over time, giving you a visual representation of the spiral or spring behavior you are looking for.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's in Maple?

The purpose of plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's in Maple is to visually represent the behavior and solutions of partial differential equations. This can help researchers and students better understand and analyze the dynamics of the system described by the PDE.

2. What are the key elements to consider when plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's in Maple?

The key elements to consider when plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's in Maple include the independent variables, the dependent variables, and the parameters of the PDE. It is also important to choose appropriate scaling and axes to accurately represent the solutions.

3. How does Maple handle boundary conditions when plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's?

Maple has built-in functions and tools for handling boundary conditions when plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's. These functions allow users to specify the type of boundary conditions (e.g. Dirichlet, Neumann) and the corresponding values or equations.

4. Can multiple PDE's be plotted on the same phase graph/diagram in Maple?

Yes, Maple allows users to plot multiple PDE's on the same phase graph/diagram. This can be useful for comparing the behavior of different PDE's or for analyzing the effects of different parameters on the solutions.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to consider when plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's in Maple?

One limitation of plotting phase graphs/diagrams of PDE's in Maple is that it may not be suitable for systems with a large number of variables or complex equations. In addition, it is important to check for any errors or inaccuracies in the plot, as Maple's numerical methods may not always produce exact solutions.