1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting probability density

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that, in free space the probability density for a wave function (free particle) is [tex]\mid \Psi(x,t)\mid^2=P(x,t)=\frac{\sigma_0}{\mid \alpha \mid^2\sqrt{\pi}}exp(-(\frac{\sigma_0}{\mid \alpha \mid})^4\frac{(x-x_0-p_0t/m)^2}{\sigma_0^2})[/tex]

What is need to be done is to study a wave packet of size [tex]\sigma_0=\frac{L}{10}[/tex] at [tex]x_0=0[/tex] on the interval [tex]-L/2\leq x \leq L/2[/tex]

I need to plot this probability density function on MATLAB.
    Since this PDF is time dependent I actually don't know how I should plot it? I know the interval should go between -L/2 and L/2 but how should this depend on time?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Should I just create a vector from -L/2 to L/2 and then just have an arbitrary time?
    Basically I cannot "visualize" in mind how it should look like before plotting, as I don't know how it exactly has to be done?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's right - you pick a time that shows the important characteristics of the density function.
    It's either that or create an animation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted