Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting seashell surfaces

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    I've been doing some experimentation with plotting parametrized surfaces in maple, and I would like to get some ideas for more things I could do. I'm not very clever at figuring out new parametrizations, but I'd like to do some things with seashells. The plots I'm coming up with are very simple, like little moonshells or olive shells. I'd like to do some more complicated ones, like lyria and those spiky shells (that I don't know the names of!). I'd welcome any and all suggestions, this is quite fun!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    i use maple a lot too, what parametric equations are you using? It's winter break and I wouldn't mind a fun thing to work on this month.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    Try combining sin, cos, exp, pi and i functions.

5. Nov 22, 2008 #4
    ok, been playing with it some...what equations have you used to yield what results (screens/eq's)? I'm thinking that if we analyze plot outputs under certain observed conditions, we can work backwards from a desired result to an equation - based on the ones we already have.

6. Nov 22, 2008 #5
    here is the one wikipedia gives, I have changed it around some (essentially just changed the constants) to obtain different looking shells: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seashell_surface
    be sure you set it 1:1, otherwise it looks too fat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?