Exploring Complex Seashell Surfaces with Maple

In summary, the conversation is about experimenting with plotting parametrized surfaces in Maple and seeking ideas for new parametrizations. The person wants to create more complex shapes, particularly seashell designs using functions such as sin, cos, exp, pi, and i. They are also interested in analyzing plot outputs to work backwards and obtain desired results. A Wikipedia article on seashell surfaces is referenced as a starting point for creating different shell shapes."
imsoconfused
I've been doing some experimentation with plotting parametrized surfaces in maple, and I would like to get some ideas for more things I could do. I'm not very clever at figuring out new parametrizations, but I'd like to do some things with seashells. The plots I'm coming up with are very simple, like little moonshells or olive shells. I'd like to do some more complicated ones, like lyria and those spiky shells (that I don't know the names of!). I'd welcome any and all suggestions, this is quite fun!

Physics news on Phys.org
i use maple a lot too, what parametric equations are you using? It's winter break and I wouldn't mind a fun thing to work on this month.

Try combining sin, cos, exp, pi and i functions.

ok, been playing with it some...what equations have you used to yield what results (screens/eq's)? I'm thinking that if we analyze plot outputs under certain observed conditions, we can work backwards from a desired result to an equation - based on the ones we already have.

here is the one wikipedia gives, I have changed it around some (essentially just changed the constants) to obtain different looking shells: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seashell_surface
be sure you set it 1:1, otherwise it looks too fat.

1. How do you plot seashell surfaces?

To plot seashell surfaces, we first need to obtain a 3D scan of the seashell using a specialized scanner or a 3D modeling software. Then, we can use a computer program or software such as MATLAB or Python to process the data and create a 3D model of the shell surface.

2. What is the purpose of plotting seashell surfaces?

Plotting seashell surfaces allows us to study and analyze the unique patterns and shapes found on different seashells. It can also help us understand the growth and development of seashells and their adaptations to their environment.

3. What factors affect the surface of a seashell?

The surface of a seashell is affected by various factors such as the species of the shell, its age, the environment it was found in, and the conditions in which it grew. These factors can influence the texture, color, and shape of the shell surface.

4. Can plotting seashell surfaces help with identifying different species of seashells?

Yes, plotting seashell surfaces can be a useful tool in identifying different species of seashells. Each species has its own unique surface patterns and shapes, which can be visualized through plotting and compared to reference images or databases to determine the species.

5. Are there any real-world applications for plotting seashell surfaces?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for plotting seashell surfaces. It can be used in fields such as marine biology, ecology, and paleontology to study the evolution and diversity of seashells. It can also have practical uses in industries such as jewelry design, where seashell patterns can inspire unique designs.