Plotting f(x) with Maple: -4 < x < 4

In summary, Maple is a mathematical software program that allows you to plot and analyze functions, solve equations, create graphs, and perform other mathematical operations. To plot a function, you need to define it using the 'f:= ' command and then use the 'plot()' command. The given range for x in plot(f, x=-4..4) indicates the domain of the function. Maple offers options for customizing plots, such as changing colors and labels, and you can save the plot as an image in various formats.
MCooltA
I have to plot the function f(x) in maple, for -4 < x < 4.

I have got:

a:= 0.58
b:=0.61
c:=0.35

f(x) := e^(-a)(x^2) - (b)(x)*ln((x^2) + 1)
....2 + (x^2) + (c)*sin(x(Pi))

Maple interprets this correctly, but when i go to plot it, it comes up with 'Warning, unable to evaluate the function numeric values in the region'.

I tried to plot it, using:

plot(f(x), x = -4..4)

Can anyone see where I am going wrong? Or what I am missing out?

Physics news on Phys.org
you're using e as a vairable, you need to use exp(...)

What is Maple?

Maple is a mathematical software program that allows you to plot and analyze functions, as well as solve equations, create graphs, and perform other mathematical operations.

How do I plot a function in Maple?

To plot a function in Maple, you need to first define the function using the 'f:= ' command, then use the 'plot()' command to generate a graph. For example, if you want to plot the function f(x)= x^2, you would type 'f:= x^2' and then 'plot(f, x=-4..4)'. This will plot the function over the range of x values from -4 to 4.

What is the significance of the given range for x?

The range of -4 < x < 4 indicates the domain of the function. This means that the function will only be plotted for x values between -4 and 4. Any values outside of this range will not be included in the graph.

How can I customize the plot in Maple?

Maple offers various options for customizing plots, such as changing the color, style, and size of the graph, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the range and scale of the axes. These options can be accessed through the 'plotsetup()' command or by right-clicking on the graph and selecting 'customize'.

Can I save the plot as an image in Maple?

Yes, you can save the plot as an image in Maple by right-clicking on the graph and selecting 'export as'. You can choose from various image formats such as JPEG, PNG, and SVG. You can also use the 'plotsetup()' command to specify the output format and file name.