A Comprehensive Guide to General Chemistry Topics

In summary: If you are looking for an introductory text for general chemistry, I would suggest either the book "PW Atkins: General Chemistry" or "Solomon and Pine's Organic Chemistry". However, if you want more in-depth coverage for a particular topic, I would recommend either "J. March's Principles of Inorganic Chemistry" or "Pine's Advanced Inorganic Chemistry".
heman
Hi all,,

I am having a course on general chemistry next semester and the following topics are included into the course ,,so i need if you guys can pls advice me for some good book to cover the following topics:

Chemistry, man and matter, Experimental methods of structure determination, Systems at finite temperature, Molecular reaction dynamics, Chemistry of Molecules, Principles and applications of Transition Metal ion chemistry, Organometallic chemistry, I8-electron rule, simple ligands such as CO, ethylene, triphenyl phosphine etc.,’ Homogeneous catalysis, Green chemistry, Structures of organic molecules. Conformations of ethane, butane, cyclohexane and monosaccharides such as glucose and fructose. Anomeric effect. E and Z configurations (inter coversions between E and Z). Optical activity, R and S (in brief), importance of optical activity in drug synthesis and biological activity, Synthesis of organic molecules, Photochemistry of organic and biomolecules, Chemistry of life processes, Biotechnology and Biomedical applications.

I will hihgly appreciate yours effort and thanks for devoting yours time..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Most of the introductions for each of the topics you mentioned are included in a standard G. Chemistry text. The rest seem to pertain to organic chemistry...usually G. Chem text (from what I remember) do not go so far as to mention chirality and organometallic chemistry. Are you sure this is for a general chemistry course?

Actually this is a course Course of chemistry and i am basically computer science Major...so this is the only theoritical course of chemistry i will in my full degree except of practicals in chemistry ,,so what i think is that they have plugged some imp. topics together...i can't say whether this is general or organic...
I just need to study these topics...

what can be good books ...i saw one Raymond Chang prescribed by you...thats a very nice book and i liked it very much but that is for Physical chemistry..

I imagine that the you not going to go too much into detail for the topics which you mentioned. In that case, I would suggest obtaining a good introduction for each topic by reviewing an organic chemistry text. You'll find introductions to such subjects you mentioned within the text. If you were to obtain a standard organometallic chemistry text, it might go too much into detail. Usually you would need to soley take a general chemistry course for introductions...where did you get the list of topics? Where are you located at the moment (USA?)

GCT,
I am not in USA .I am in India and i easily able to find any book you will say in my library ,,worst case can be that is a single copy..
List of Topics were in the syllabus..
http://www.iitk.ac.in/doaa/courses/Chemistry.pdf
Course name is CHM201N-General Chemistry...
Although its an Indian College it runs parallel to American Institutes...Same strategies followed here..

Last edited by a moderator:
umm Get P.W. Atkins, Solomon, Pine, J. March
waise kafi muggai ho rahe hai

If it is really a standard general chemistry course...that is an introductory course with no calculus or higher math required, then I would imagine that the most you'll need in addition to the text I suggested is a standard org. chem. text, such as the one himanshu121 described. If you need more information for a particular topic then feel free to ask here, but most of the introductory courses here span general chemistry and organic chemistry. Inorganic chemistry is considered a higher level course...the terminologies may differ though.

The two texts I mentioned should cover the introductions to each of the subjects you mentioned. If India emphasizes additional importance on some other topics, then you probably won't find it in either of the texts, but will have to research for it by other means.

himanshu121 said:
umm Get P.W. Atkins, Solomon, Pine, J. March
waise kafi muggai ho rahe hai

sahi mein saale
yeh i think physical ki hain
yahan par yahi follow hoti hain kya

Physical ke hai :: PW Atkins aur
Organic ke hai :: Pine, Solomon, J.March, P. Sykes

abey yaar itni saari organic ki,,kaun si lu

1. What topics are covered in "A Comprehensive Guide to General Chemistry Topics"?

The guide covers a wide range of general chemistry topics including atomic structure, periodic trends, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, states of matter, thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, and electrochemistry.

2. Is this guide suitable for all levels of chemistry students?

Yes, the guide is designed to be suitable for students at all levels, from high school to college. It provides a comprehensive overview of general chemistry concepts and can serve as a useful reference for students at any stage of their chemistry education.

3. Are there practice problems included in the guide?

Yes, the guide includes practice problems with detailed solutions to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts covered. These problems also cover a range of difficulty levels to accommodate different levels of students.

4. Can this guide be used as a standalone resource for studying general chemistry?

While this guide provides a comprehensive overview of general chemistry topics, it is recommended to be used in conjunction with a textbook or other study materials. It can serve as a helpful supplement for students looking to review or reinforce their understanding of key concepts.

5. Are there any interactive elements in the guide?

Yes, the guide includes interactive elements such as quizzes and animations to help students engage with the material and enhance their learning experience. These interactive elements can also help students to visualize and better understand complex concepts.