1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pls explain me permittivity

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    Electrical permittivity...in mathematical terms, i.e I need the derivation...WITHOUT using 'curls'.

Didn't find it online.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2
    The permittivity of a medium is a constant that is connected to the electrical properties of that medium.Amongst other places it appears in Coulombs law and along with permittivity( a magnetic constant ) the formula for the speed of light.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    In mks units, the capacitance of a rectangular capacitor of relative permittivity e, separation d, and area A is

C = e e0 A/d Farads

where e is relative permittivity (unitless)
    e0 is the permittivity of free space, 8.85 x 10-12 Farads per meter.

**The magnetic constant is permeability.

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4
    Thank you Bob I got my mittivity mixed up with eability.I would blame it on the beer but I haven't had one yet.

6. Apr 11, 2009 #5
    I'm asking the derivation of permittivity, not relative.

And pls explain a bit of theory also.

7. Apr 12, 2009 #6

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean derivation? I'm not aware of any derivation of permittivity or permeability from first principles, at least not classically. The two are constants. Permittivity can be thought of as describing the capacitance of the medium. Even vacuum can be thought of as having a capacitance. In a material, the permittivity describes the ability to store extra energy. This is done by polarizing the molecules in the material. The induced dipoles allow you to store more energy in the material.

8. Apr 12, 2009 #7
    In my opinion, permittivity can be defined as the ability of a medium to allow conductors at an electric potential to accumulate electrical charges on it's surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook