1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pls guide for becoming a scientist

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Im a 11th std student. i want to become a scientist but i dont know wat path i shud follow.what should i do after 12th? ive taken PCM group .im intrested a bit more in chem than physics.pls reply in a simple way the steps i shud follow.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

First, What is a Scientist?

Very BROAD. Difficult to answer. There is no single path, and many exceptions. Depends on the field, and so on.

Rule of Thumb is College Degree -> Postgraduate Degree <-> Research Degree

Research <-> Publications

Jobs (depends) -> Academia <-> Industry. Research Centers also exist and environment varies to somewhere between Academia and Industry.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

For one, learn to write in a far clearer manner. No one gets anywhere with that kind of writing.

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4
    Hi suv1, the kind of "text speak" you are using is not acceptable for forums like this. We're mostly old dudes who just don't know the language! I know it has advantages in concision, and physicists admire concision, but here you have to make concessions to those who aren't fluent in your concise language.

6. Feb 16, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're in high school?? Try to take as many math/physics/chemistry/biology as you can.
    Afterwards you can apply to university for a major that interests you. If you're interesting in chemistry, then you can major in chemistry or chemical engineering or something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook