Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pls help:math question

1. Dec 29, 2005 #1
    lim x to 9 [(x^2]-81)/[3-(3^1/2)]??

thanx.......

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2005 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show what you have done till now with this problem?

4. Dec 29, 2005 #3
    i have tried to do this question n got the answer of -108.is it correct??

5. Dec 29, 2005 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is not right.
    If you show exactly how you got your answer of -108 (ie, post all the working and calculations you did) it will be easier for us to help you and show where you went wrong.

6. Dec 29, 2005 #5

TD

Homework Helper

That answer isn't correct, unless you stated the wrong problem. I *think* you may mean

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 9} \frac{{x^2 - 81}}{{3 - \sqrt x }}[/tex]

In that case, your answer is correct :smile:

7. Dec 29, 2005 #6
    ya,that is my question.thank you very much.....

8. Dec 29, 2005 #7

TD

Homework Helper

No problem, but be careful when "writing math" ;)

9. Dec 29, 2005 #8
    yeah, try using latex... just click on the equation TD wrote and look at the code, its worth learning.

10. Dec 30, 2005 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Okay, the problem is
    [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 9} \frac{{x^2 - 81}}{{3 - \sqrt x }}[/tex]

do you now see how to get the limit?

The problem is that if you just replace x by 9, both numerator and denominator are 0. (If the denominator were not 0, just calculate the value at x= 9. If the denominator is 0 but the numerator not, there is no limit.)

But since both become 0 at x= 9, that means we can factor! x2- 81 is a "difference of squares" so x2- 81= (x- 9)(x+ 9) and then we can treat x- 9 as a "difference of squares also: [itex]x- 9= (\sqrt(x))^2- 3^2= (\sqrt{x}- 3)(\sqrt{x}+ 3)[/itex]
    Can you finish it from there?

11. Dec 30, 2005 #10
    well i think he did even before posting the question, because he got a right answer, and just asked if its right.

12. Dec 30, 2005 #11

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yeah, I just reread the original post and that is implied.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook