Can You Solve These Physics Puzzles Before Tomorrow's Deadline?

• Thread starter emjez15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation started with a request for help on three physics problems. The first two questions involved calculating the height of an object based on its velocity and acceleration, while the third question involved calculating the height at which a ball will strike a building. After receiving the answers, the person expressed gratitude and mentioned that their uncle had helped them. However, they also expressed disappointment that they were not given formulas to solve the problems directly. The conversation ended with Integral explaining the rules of showing work in order to learn, not just get the answers. Overall, the conversation was about seeking help and learning how to solve the problems correctly.
emjez15
guyz, i have this problems.. due tomorrow, pls help me pls.. thank you so much

1. A Russian Balloonist floating at an altitude of 150m accidentally drops his samovar & starts to ascend at the constant velocity of 1.2m/s. How high will the balloons be when the samovar reaches the ground?

2. An orangutan throws a coconut vertically upward at the foot of a cliff 40m high while his make simultaneously drops another coconut from the top of the cliff. The two coconuts collide at an altitude of 20m. What was the initial velocity of the coconut that was thrown upward?

3. A ball is thrown at 20m/s from the roof of a building 25m high at an angle of 30o below the horizontal. At what height above the ground will the ball strike the side of another building 20m away from the first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you know.

thank God I've got it

thanks anyways,

here's the answers

1. A Russian Balloonist floating at an altitude of 150m accidentally drops his samovar & starts to ascend at the constant velocity of 1.2m/s. How high will the balloons be when the samovar reaches the ground?

s=150m
a=9.8
s=0.5at^2
300=9.8t^2
t=5.5328...sec
moving at 1.2m/s
therefore
s=vt
s=6.64m upwards
He is at 156.64m when it reaches the ground

2. An orangutan throws a coconut vertically upward at the foot of a cliff 40m high while his make simultaneously drops another coconut from the top of the cliff. The two coconuts collide at an altitude of 20m. What was the initial velocity of the coconut that was thrown upward?

They collide at 20m, in the middle
for the coconut at the top
s=20
a=9.8
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
v = sqrt(392)
when they make contact
v = u+at
sqrt(392) = 9.8t
t = 2.0203...sec
therefore the one at the bottom must have covered 20m in 2.0203...sec
v=s/t
v=9.90m/s (3sf)

Sir Abente PROJECTILE September 4, 2008

3. A ball is thrown at 20m/s from the roof of a building 25m high at an angle of 30o below the horizontal. At what height above the ground will the ball strike the side of another building 20m away from the first?

Horizontal component 20cos30

Vertical component 20sin30

s=20m
v=20cos30
v=s/t
t=s/v
t=1.1547...sec

u=20sin30m/s
t=1.1547...sec
a=-9.8m/s/s
s=ut+0.5at^2
s=5.01m
It will move up 5.01m
Therefore it will hit the building at 30.01m

@Integral

you should've help if i we're you, dude..:)

emjez15 said:
@Integral

you should've help if i we're you, dude..:)

The rules are that you have to show your work and others may help you as to where you may be going wrong.

The idea is helping you to learn to do your homework, not to help you do your homework by actually doing it for you.

Looks like he helped you after all.

, who's he?.. my uncle teach me,,

i mean that you should've give me some formula or something, I am not asking directly for the answers..

Please read my post first :smile:

emjez15 said:
, who's he?.. my uncle teach me,,

i mean that you should've give me some formula or something, I am not asking directly for the answers..

Please read my post first :smile:

I did review your first post and you showed no work. No formulas. No approach. Integral's response to you was what I would have said if I had responded to you first.

You've shown your work and indicated that you are satisfied with the results. Not sure what you want at this point.

1. What is the best way to approach a problem due tomorrow?

The best way to approach a problem due tomorrow is to start by breaking it down into smaller, manageable tasks. Prioritize the most important parts and focus on those first. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or a peer.

2. How can I manage my time effectively to finish a project due tomorrow?

To manage your time effectively, start by creating a schedule or a to-do list. Set specific and achievable goals for each task and try to stick to them. Take breaks when needed to avoid burnout, and don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks if necessary.

3. What should I do if I don't understand the assignment due tomorrow?

If you don't understand the assignment, it's important to seek clarification from your teacher or a classmate. Don't wait until the last minute to ask for help, as this can cause unnecessary stress and may result in a lower grade. It's better to ask for help early on so you have enough time to fully understand the assignment.

4. How can I stay motivated to work on a project due tomorrow?

One way to stay motivated is to break up the project into smaller, achievable tasks and set specific deadlines for each one. Reward yourself after completing each task to stay motivated. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the importance and relevance of the project, and how completing it will benefit you in the long run.

5. What if I don't have enough time to finish a project due tomorrow?

If you find yourself running out of time, prioritize the most important parts of the project and focus on those. It may also be helpful to communicate with your teacher and explain the situation. They may be able to provide an extension or offer other solutions. Remember to also take care of yourself and try not to stress too much, as this can affect your productivity.