1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pls help me with a simple question

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    ..hi.. im just a newbie here and i am just confuse in this question.....
    can you please help me....

A Prius and a RAV4 are initially at rest and 1.9 km apart start moving toward each other at the same time. The Prius accelerates at 5.0 m/s² and the RAV4 accelerates at 4.5 m/s² . assume that their acceleration is constant throughout the time duration.

a. At what point from the RAV4's starting point in m will the 2 cars pass each other?
    b. how many seconds(from the starting point) will it take for them to pass each othr from the stating point?

why would the ans. in letter a is 900 and in b is 20 s

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF sekishi,

Please show some working or intial thoughts, you are required to do so before we can help you.

~H

4. Apr 24, 2006 #3
    well... i dont know.. mmmhh,, i just add up 4.5 and 5 and get 9.5.... i then divide it in 1900..... and i got 200.... not 900

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, what kinematics equations do you know?

~H

6. Apr 24, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The important point to note here is that the numbers given are acclerations not velcoities.

~H

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?