1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pls HELP me

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] pls HELP me

There is an electronics competition, so can somebody tell me if there is something better than Tesla coil. The opposition is going to have a demonstration with a Tesla coil. What is your suggestion? What should I construct against the Tesla coil???
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you studied about electronics? It seems to me that a Tesla coil is more of a construction problem rather than an electronics problem. There are many areas to choose from. Do you have any paticular areas of interest other than high voltage?
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    What type of stuff do you have to work with?

There's like 45 bajillion digital circuits you could make, if you could get some low power speaker cones you could make a keyboard, make some RAM, a calculator, etc.
  5. Jan 16, 2008 #4
    This is primary school competition, so it was very easy to win until this year. My friend is the best opposition, his project is Tesla coil. We are learning the basics of the electricity, but my friend went too far. I think that I am going to build some kind of a movement detector so it count and display the number of movements detected. So what do you say? And thanks for the replies.
  6. Jan 16, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is an excellent idea. What kind of time are you looking at? Also will you be able to purchase any supplies such as LED display, power supplies(batteries), chips, etc?

What have you considered for detecting movement? You could use a light source and a phototransistor to count objects as they break a light beam. What are your thoughts here?
  7. Jan 17, 2008 #6
    Well, I have enough time to complete this project. Actually, I should send the request until March. I asked my friend for help, he is an expert in electronics, so he is going to send me the board and all the needed components, however, there is an electronics store in range of 50km. The movement detector is going to be some kind of a sensor (as at the supermarkets ex. the self opening doors...). Today, I'll talk with my friend for the details. Thank you very much for the support.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?