Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pls HElp Time? Elastic?

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    What do we mean by "Time is elastic"?

How can we see that time is elastic? Is there anyway to illustrate this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I never heard anyone say that before - I don't know what it is supposed to mean, if anything.

4. Aug 13, 2005 #3
    Well, all I have heard that spacetime is elastic which curves as a large mass is put on it just like elastic and creates gravitational force. I think because time warps, it is supposed to be elastic.

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Space-time does curve in the presence of large masses. I don't think it's good to take the elastic sheet analogy too seriously, though, so I wouldn't say that space-time is "elastic", I'd just say that it deforms in the presence of large masses.

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    I don't think that time is experessed scientifically as elastic...Probably someone wnated to make it easier to udnerstand, it's the 1st time to read such an expression..Except when i was trying to explain Einstein's marvels to some kids..

7. Jan 20, 2011 #6
    I thought about this question for a long period of time. why time is elastic? I thought that if time is elastic ,so it must be able to deform. My imagination told me that deformation of time is represented by time dilation. If time can dilate (deform) ,so it must be elastic. In case you asked yourself about its high elasticity. I asked myself the same question and I think that I have reached a convincing answer. As time can dilate until it almost reach infinity (it doesn’t reach infinity) therefore, it must be of high elasticity. If I am wrong just tell me. I am not sure about what I am saying. It is just my imagination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?