1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pls help

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1

Hi, I'm new to these fourms, but it looks like i will be using if alot :smile:
    Here are the questions;
    1.A hicker walks 10km[S30W] and 12Km[N80E}. Find how far he is from the start point.
    2.A hicker walks [N30w] and then goes 6Km [W]. How far is the hicher from the start point.
    Thank you ( in advance) for your help, i really dont know how to solve these problems.:confused:

and how do i change my arvatar????
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Would have to use the displacement formula for that. Subtract initial position from final. He moves along a straight line. SW to NE
    Since he does not move along a straight line, would have to use vectors to solve for this. I guess you could use the Pythagorean Theorem and slove for the third side of the triangle and that would be the displacement.

You would have to contribute to the forums first.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?