Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plug up my VCR to my computer

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    I have been looking around the internet trying to find out how I can take VCR tapes and put them onto my computer. Like I guess plug up my VCR to my computer but I don't know how. I have a G4 Macintosh with Tiger 10.4.9 on it. I have recorded myself playing Super Smash Bros. Melee (a video game) and need to put it on a website. If you have any other ways of getting that on to the computer I would be really appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You need an analog-to-digital video converter, a box that goes between your VCR and your Mac. The VCR's audio (red/white) and video (yellow or S-video) outputs connect to corresponding inputs on the converter box. Depending on which box and which software on the Mac you use, you connect the box and the Mac via either Firewire or USB2.

I use a Canopus ADVC-100 which is about four years old so there's probably a newer model. It uses a Firewire connection that iMovie recognizes. When I play a tape on the VCR, it shows up in the iMovie window, I click a button, and iMovie captures it in DV format. After I've captured the whole tape, I edit the video right there in iMovie, and finally import it to iDVD to make a DVD out of it.

I don't know whether current versions of iMovie still require a Firewire connection, or can also use USB2.

I've read that if you have a digital camcorder with a Firewire output, you can use it in "pass-through" mode as a converter box. But I've never done this myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?