Plunging: Do you trust your neurosurgeon?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, 65% of neurosurgeons in Britain and Ireland have experienced 'plunging', and it carries a 12% risk of death or permanent neurological morbidity. The authors discuss various options available to minimize the occurrence of this complication.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The inadvertent 'plunging' of an instrument into the cranial cavity is a feared complication of drilling a burr hole and while anecdotes abound, little is known about the extent or the consequences of this problem. A survey by anonymous postal questionnaire of 304 neurosurgeons in Britain and Ireland was conducted to analyse the extent of this complication. Of respondents, 65.6% had experienced 'plunging', 22.3% having 'plunged' at least twice, indicating a high prevalence of this complication. The Cushing perforator was implicated by most. 'Plunging' carried a 12% risk of death or permanent neurological morbidity. The authors analyse the prevalence and significance of this preventable complication, and discuss various options available to minimize its occurrence.
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.c...nal,7,59;linkingpublicationresults,1:100434,1

This gives the expression "take the plunge" a whole new twist for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankly if you need brain surgery, the risk of death and brain damage is probably greater if you don't do it. But still...

Whenever we'd launch a new satellite, there was always something that could go wrong, many of them pretty stupid. Which tempts a few to shrug their shoulders and say, "Well, launching a satellite isn't exactly rocket science, you know ... er ... ah ... bad analogy. I mean it's not exactly brain surgery, you know."

I guess nothing's quite as precise a science as people would like to believe.

No, I would never trust a neurosurgeon...never never never! Then again, when you need neurosurgery, you haven't got much choice, do you? The good news is that most of the procedure is automated, and the residents who still care a bit about patients do more of the work than the surgeons do, but I still don't trust them.

Now, I've occassionally run into this problem drilling through a rat skull, but that's only because I have to use a dremmel tool for the job. When you get to larger skulls, there are hand-crank drills that are designed specifically to avoid this problem. As soon as they penetrate through the skull, they catch and lock. I've stared at these things for a long time and have yet to figure out what magic charm makes them stop at precisely the right time, but they work. Of course the lazy neurosurgeons are probably using some sort of electric or pneumatic drill. Even with that method, they shouldn't be "plunging" an instrument into the brain unless they are being completely careless. The dura surrounding the brain is pretty tough, and you might nick that if you punch through the skull faster than you expected, but should have enough control over your instrument not to go much deeper than that.

1. What is the process of plunging in neurosurgery?

The process of plunging in neurosurgery involves using a specialized instrument called a plunger or a dissector to create a pathway through the brain tissue. This allows the neurosurgeon to reach the desired area of the brain for treatment or diagnosis.

2. Is plunging a safe procedure in neurosurgery?

Yes, plunging is a safe and commonly used technique in neurosurgery. Neurosurgeons undergo extensive training and have a thorough understanding of the anatomy of the brain to ensure the safety of their patients during the procedure.

3. What are the potential risks of plunging in neurosurgery?

Like any medical procedure, there are potential risks associated with plunging in neurosurgery. These may include bleeding, infection, damage to surrounding brain tissue, and complications related to anesthesia. However, these risks are minimized when performed by a skilled and experienced neurosurgeon.

4. How do I know if I can trust my neurosurgeon to perform the plunging procedure?

It is important to do your research and choose a neurosurgeon who is board-certified and has a good reputation. You can also ask for recommendations from your primary care physician or from trusted friends or family members who have had similar procedures. It is also important to have open communication with your neurosurgeon and ask any questions or concerns you may have before the procedure.

5. Are there any alternatives to plunging in neurosurgery?

Yes, there are alternative techniques to plunging in neurosurgery, such as using specialized tools or imaging technology to navigate through the brain tissue. However, the decision on which technique to use will depend on the specific case and the recommendation of the neurosurgeon. It is important to trust the expertise and judgement of your neurosurgeon in determining the best approach for your individual case.

Back