Bourne Ultimatum: Plunging Into Water - Estimating Force of Impact

• Thread starter marcflores
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of surviving a high fall into water, specifically referencing the movie "Bourne Ultimatum" and the Golden Gate Bridge. The question cannot be accurately answered with basic mechanics calculations and requires more data and research. Cliff divers and a website are mentioned as potential sources for information.
marcflores
I have no idea if this is the correct part of the forum to be posting this in...

SPOILER WARNING FOR BOURNE ULTIMATUM!

My wife and I just saw "Bourne Ultimatum." At the end of the movie, Jason Bourne, played by Matt Damon, plunges into a body of water from a height of 10 stories. Apparently, he survives. He weighs about 180-190, I'd guess, and I thought that hitting water at that height would be enough to kill him. Can anyone give a rough estimate on what that force of impact would be equivalent to under real-world circumstances?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't the type of question that can really be answered well using basic mechanics calculations.. you'd be better off looking for "experimental" records and statistical data, maybe a military training manual or similar.

cesiumfrog said:
This isn't the type of question that can really be answered well using basic mechanics calculations.. you'd be better off looking for "experimental" records and statistical data, maybe a military training manual or similar.
I suppose you're right. I imagined that the assumed mass of the person falling, coupled with gravitational acceleration at the given height, and the density of water might have made for good speculation.

I was watching a special on the Golden Gate Bridge the other day and it was mentioned by the engineers that the heights at which the workers were posted, hitting the water had the equivalent force of 1,540 p.s.i. It was compared to hitting a concrete wall with a car at 80 mph. Of course, the height of the two posts on the Golden Gate Bridge far exceed ten stories, which brought about the curiosity after seeing the movie.
Thanks for the interesting link, mgb_phys.

1. What is "Bourne Ultimatum: Plunging Into Water - Estimating Force of Impact"?

"Bourne Ultimatum: Plunging Into Water - Estimating Force of Impact" is a scientific study that analyzes the physics behind a scene in the movie "The Bourne Ultimatum" where the main character jumps from a building into water. The study aims to estimate the force of impact on the body upon hitting the water.

2. Why is this study important?

Understanding the force of impact on the body is crucial for various fields, such as sports, engineering, and medicine. This study can provide valuable insights into the potential risks and injuries associated with high-impact activities and can help improve safety measures.

3. How was the force of impact estimated?

The force of impact was estimated by using equations from the field of fluid dynamics. The researchers considered factors such as the height of the jump, the velocity of the body, and the density of the water to calculate the force of impact on the body.

4. What were the findings of the study?

The study found that the force of impact on the body when jumping from a 30-meter height into water can range from 5 to 12 times the body's weight. This means that the impact on the body can be significant and potentially lead to injuries, especially if the proper diving techniques are not used.

5. How can the findings of this study be applied in real life?

The findings of this study can be applied in various ways. For example, athletes and stunt performers can use this information to better understand the risks involved in high-impact activities and take necessary precautions. Engineers can also use this data to design safer structures for activities such as diving and bungee jumping. Additionally, this study can aid in the development of safety guidelines and regulations for high-impact activities.