Arizona Telescope: Did Big Scopes See Pluto Conjunction?

• Thread starter interested_learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pluto
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of the Pluto Conjunction being seen by big scopes in Arizona. The sky was cloudy the previous evening but cleared up in the morning. One person is asking if anyone has contacts with the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory to confirm. Another person clarifies that the event is an occultation, not a conjunction, between Pluto and a star. The event occurred today and was visible from big scopes in Arizona.
interested_learner
Does anyone know if the Pluto Conjunction was seen by any of the big scopes in Arizona?

I know the sky over Southern Arizona (and specifically Mt. Hopkins where the 6.5 meter scope was going to be used to photograph the rare event) was cloudy yesterday evening. This morning it was clear though. It might have cleared up in time... Does anyone have contacts with the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and knows the answer?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I'm following you - what is this celestial event that you're talking about? Pluto is currently nowhere near the sun or any planet - what is it having a conjunction with? A google turns up nothing but astrology sites that don't say anything useful.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure I'm following you - what is this celestial event that you're talking about? Pluto is currently nowhere near the sun or any planet - what is it having a conjunction with?

Russ, I think interested_learner means a star or something... Wasn't there a conjecture a couple of months ago?

He's referring to this:http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...uto_watch.html [Broken]
It's an occultation.

MadScientist 1000 said:
Wasn't there a conjecture a couple of months ago?
I heard it hasn't been proven yet. :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
neutrino said:
He's referring to this:http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...uto_watch.html [Broken]
It's an occultation.

I heard it hasn't been proven yet. :tongue2:

Occulation? Conjecture? I meant the same thing :smile: Yeah... I remember the occulation between Pluto and a star... It was not a few months ago, but a year or two ago. They used it to figure out Pluto's atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's NOT conjecture, which roughly means a half-baked idea :P, it's a conjunction, which means 'close' gathering of celestial objects as seen in the sky. Btw, the one the OP is referring to occurred today.

Right. Occulation. Sorry. Wrong word. This was an especially valuable occulation because it was visable from the big scopes in Arizona.

Do I look like the type of person who will speeeellll words correktly?

My bad... I meant occulation...

1. What is the Arizona Telescope?

The Arizona Telescope is a state-of-the-art telescope located in Arizona, USA. It is used by scientists and astronomers to observe and study celestial objects in the night sky.

2. How does the Arizona Telescope work?

The Arizona Telescope uses a combination of mirrors and lenses to collect and focus light from distant objects in space. This light is then sent to detectors and instruments, which analyze the data and provide information about the observed objects.

3. What is a Pluto conjunction?

A Pluto conjunction occurs when the dwarf planet Pluto aligns with another celestial object in the night sky, such as a star or planet. This can happen from Earth's perspective due to their relative positions in the solar system.

4. Why is it significant that the Arizona Telescope saw the Pluto conjunction?

The Arizona Telescope's ability to observe the Pluto conjunction provides valuable data and insights for scientists studying the dwarf planet and its interactions with other objects in the solar system. It also demonstrates the advanced capabilities of the telescope and its importance in astronomical research.

5. How does the Arizona Telescope contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The Arizona Telescope's observations and data contribute to a wide range of scientific research, including the study of planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. By providing detailed and precise observations, it helps scientists better understand the complexities of the universe and its evolution.