Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pluto is no longer a planet

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/24/pluto.ap/index.html

"PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) -- Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight."

.......... :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2006 #2
    I think I will just wait about ten years before trying to look up what the planets in our solar system are.

4. Aug 24, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dang it! I just bought stock in Charon!

5. Aug 24, 2006 #4
    There going to change it...Everone likes pluto...

6. Aug 24, 2006 #5
    Let's riot until they ban changing the number of planets.

Anyone? *Grabs picket*

^Also: "They're". Pluto(capitalized).

</EnglishOCD>

7. Aug 24, 2006 #6
    Yeah lets ban the astromers against Pluto!!

Who's ready for Planet Killer Champions!

8. Aug 25, 2006 #7
    It always makes me laugh to see how much people actually care about some stupid sphere. They actually organised a big conference on this in Prague, i believe, just to define "what is a planet" ???

Talkin' about your udder waiste of money.

marlon

9. Aug 25, 2006 #8

EL

Science Advisor

Won't this have some inpact on Astrology?

10. Aug 25, 2006 #9
    In my opinion, this decision was unwise. Does it serve any scientific purpose?

11. Aug 25, 2006 #10
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

marlon

12. Aug 25, 2006 #11

EL

Science Advisor

If Pluto would have remained a planet, at least three more objects in our solar system should also qualify as planets. And in a near future we would probably find hundreds of more such "mini-planets" outside Pluto, and in that case I'd feel quite sorry for the children having to learn all the names in school...

13. Aug 25, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The meeting in Prague is the 26th General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) or UAI in French.

http://www.astronomy2006.com/

http://www.iau.org/IAU_MEETINGS.110.0.html - a number of meetings in Prague coincident with the GA.

14. Aug 25, 2006 #13

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Classification schemes serve as phenomenological guides that aid in the study of the formation and subsequent evolution of some set of objects. Optimally, the different categories would reflect not only differences in present appearance and behavior, but also physical history. In this case, Pluto's origins and evolution may have more in common with that of other Kuiper Belt objects than of the official eight planets.

One might ask, does a study of Kuiper Belt objects include Pluto? Does a simulation of evolution of planetary orbits include it? Ultimately, the answers to these questions will depend on the study in question. Scientists can choose to conduct their studies in any way they see fit (perhaps ignoring the official classification scheme), but it's usually convenient to have some kind of consistency.

Personally, I don't think it's earth-shattering and am amused that people get so worked about it, but I do think it's important to have a definition (even if somewhat vague). In this respect, any decision made by the IAU would be a step forward.

15. Aug 25, 2006 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, they just retroactively invalidated all previous horoscopes. :rofl:

16. Aug 25, 2006 #15
    One page less in science textbooks and one more in history textbooks. :wink:

17. Aug 25, 2006 #16

EL

Science Advisor

Ah, so now we know why they never worked before!
    Guess the new Astrology will be much more successful...

18. Aug 25, 2006 #17
    If there is a definition for Kuiper Belt objects and Pluto meets the definition, then Yes. If it doesn't meet the definition, then No. If there is no definition, the the IAU should have made one. What has this got to do with the issue at hand?

19. Aug 25, 2006 #18

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said, the origins and evolution of Kuiper Belt objects are likely different from that of planets. Putting it in both categories may not make sense, depending on what one wishes the classification to reflect.

20. Aug 25, 2006 #19
    But this is not what the IAU did. They classed together Pluto and Ceres. The reason Pluto was kicked out of the limousine had to do with its orbit, not its history. If they needed a word for "Planet, but not Pluto", I think they should have made one up.

There are attempts being made to find planets revolving about other stars. Are these attempts now to be relabeled, or are we not interested in extra-solar Kuiper Belt objects?

21. Aug 25, 2006 #20

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a quote from the article:

In other words, Pluto is part of a "belt", so it has not cleared the region around its orbit (a facet of its history/evolution) and is not to be classified as a planet.

Everything found (or being looked for) so far would probably fall into the definition of a planet, not a Kuiper Belt object or asteroid.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?