What is the relationship between luminosity and magnitude in stars?

• Thread starter nobunaga84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of luminosity and magnitude of stars. Luminosity refers to the absolute brightness of a star, while magnitude is the apparent brightness to an observer on Earth. The two are the same when viewed from a distance of 10 parsecs. For more information, the person recommends checking out a specific webpage.
nobunaga84
hi,i'm a first year student that undergoing an astrophysics and cosmology course in university currently.i'm quite understand the luminosity and magniude of a star.can anybody help me to understand it?THANKS for your generasity.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Luminosity is the absolute brightness of a star whereas magnitude is the apparent brightness of a star to a fixed observer [earth being the nearest popular fixed location]. The absolute and apparent brightness are the same when the star in question is viewed from a distance of 10 parsecs. For more info see
http://blueox.uoregon.edu/~jimbrau/astr122/Notes/Chapter17.html#lum

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,Chronos.

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to explain something?

Asking someone to explain something is a way to gain a better understanding of a concept or topic. It allows for clarification and can help bridge gaps in knowledge or understanding.

2. How should I approach asking for an explanation?

When asking for an explanation, it is important to be respectful and specific. Clearly state what you would like explained and provide context as to why you are seeking an explanation. It is also helpful to ask open-ended questions to encourage a thorough explanation.

3. What are some benefits of explaining something to others?

Explaining something to others not only helps them understand the concept better, but it also solidifies the information for the person doing the explaining. It can also improve communication skills and foster a deeper understanding of the topic.

4. How can I ensure I am providing a clear and effective explanation?

To provide a clear and effective explanation, it is important to use simple language and avoid jargon or technical terms if the person you are explaining to is not familiar with them. Asking for feedback and checking for understanding throughout the explanation can also help ensure clarity.

5. Is it important to consider the audience when explaining something?

Yes, it is important to consider the audience when explaining something. Tailoring the explanation to the audience's level of understanding and using relatable examples can help make the explanation more effective. It also shows respect for the audience's knowledge and learning style.