1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plz help- Ideal Gas Law

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    Oxygen for hospital patients is kept in special tanks, where the oxgen has a pressure of 65.0 atm and a temp. of 288 K. The tanks are stored in a separate room, and the oxygen is pumped to the patient's room, where it is administered at a pressure of 1.00 atm and a temp. of 297 K. What volume does 1.00 m^3 of oxygen in the tanks occupy at the conditions in the patient's room?

What I did was solve for the # of mols (n) given the tank information: n= PV/RT and used this n value to solve for volume: V= nRT/P. But I got 67 m^3 which is a much larger number than I expected. Am I heading in the right direction on this problem? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2
    That sounds exactly right.
    Note that you don't actually have to solve for the number of moles, all you need to know is that it stays constant.

n = PV/RT and n is constant, therefore:
    (PV/RT)1 = (PV/RT)2 where 1 and 2 correspond to before and after the pumping, i.e. 1 is at 65 atm 288K and 2 is at 1atm 297K.
    Also R is constant, so you can cancel that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?